1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2x12 vs 1x15?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by andrklet, Dec 17, 2013.

1. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Just starting to look into the world of amps as the speaker in my Peavey TKO 65 starts to struggle. I may just end up replacing the speaker. But, if geting something new, a bit mor powerfull and still portable whitin reason. What are the pros and cons of a 2x12(or2x10) and a 1x15 setup? Is it possible to say something general about the differances if all else is equal?

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The 2X12 will be louder

3. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

And generally cover a larger frequency range, imo.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

I prefer a 1x15 for portability purposes. I find that I can generally hear fine on stage, and I haven't played anywhere that the sound guy hasn't wanted a DI in a long time.

7. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I like a 2X12 for the power-to-weight ratio. You can get a lot of tone and volume from a box weighing 65 lbs or less. The GK Neo 212 is a good example, but there are others as well. Of course, it would be nice to try both before you actually buy. Good luck!

8. superHEAVYfunk

superHEAVYfunk

I've been rocking a single 2x10 for a couple of years now and it's done me well in most situations... Though these days I find myself needing more stage presence and am adding a 1x15 to my rig.

The single 2x10 was awesome because it was super portable. I could take the bus or subway with my entire rig and guitar and have virtually no problems!

9. EricssonB

EricssonB

So I was going to be a smartass and post this picture, but I don't want to be an advocate for mixing cabs.

[​IMG]

10. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

For my tastes, a 2x12 is perfect. Seems to have the tightness of tens with the low-end excursion of a 15. I suppose your musical styles may dictate a different direction for you.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The diameter of a spkr has little to no bearing on it's sound. Iow, 10's don't have a particular sound, and neither do 12's or 15's. It's all about the overall design, and the tuning of the cab itself. These myths are what keeps the mixing spkr size crowd believing they need 15's for the lows, and 10's for the punch, and that 12's are a good compromise between these 2 variables. None of it is true, nor is it based in any type of real scientific evidence, which actually proves otherwise. Further research on this topic is advised, starting with the faq's and amp stickies.

12. Major Softie

Major Softie

Not true.

Thinking that larger speakers go lower (certainly a common myth, and one you properly argue against) is certainly incorrect. However, that is not the same as arguing that 10's, 12's, and 15's don't sound "different." Certainly speaker and speaker cabinet design has even more impact on sound, but 10's and 15's of the same basic driver design really do sound different, and their frequency response curves differ in shape, even if their range is the same.

13. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Well...Phil Jones designs certainly throws out all conventional thought of cone size being equally relevant to frequency response. What we find is that total cone surface area has a more direct relationship to frequency response than the size of any single cone. That being said, the excursion of a 10" driver will typically be less than that of a 15" and can give the user a feeling of tighter, punchier response due to this shorter throw of the cone. As mentioned above, cabinet and speaker design can have a very profound effect on the sound as well. Getting back to the original post, 2x12's will have much more surface area than a single 15" and has potential to out perform the single 15" in that respect. At the end of the day, what ever combo sounds best to you, is the one you should go with.

:bassist:

14. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

the 210 and 115 will be close to the same volume, and the 212 will be louder than the other two

15. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Just IME, I played a few different config cabs starting out, then settled on a 410 for years (90's), then moved to a 1x15 at the end of the 90's (wanted more lows) then added a matching 210 for extra mids (2000's) and just this year shifted to 2x12 cabs...
    Absolutely loving the range and articulation that 2x 112 rig brings, much deeper and wider sounding than a single 12 or 15.
    But I honestly think there are too many variables to simple bundle all cabs based on driver size (as said many times on TB) it's really something you have spend time trying out different rigs in different spaces, I still get surprised by room/space acoustics and how much they change the sound of a rig. Having said that, the 2x 112's are my favourite cab config for the music I play in the bands I play in.

16. andrklet

andrklet Guest

Thanks for lots of great responses! I´m just trying to narrow down my search, and in that respect, I got no help at all :) Appart from try everything before you buy! I´m leaning towards the smaller speaker giving more punch myth. Or at least I was up until now... I´m looking for a rig I can bring back and fourth to rehearsal, which allows me to drown the drummer (if I want;-) I want lots of punch but also good control of the low end if you know what I mean. I want to be able to get a really clean J-bass sound, although most of the time I´ll probably be trying for a light overdrive/vintage tube effect. Stylwise, think Alice in chains, RHCP, Foo Fighters and such... (Yes I grew up in the late 80´s and 90´s and I´m reliving the garage-band dream)

I´ve been looking at, and I´m able to try the Ampeg BA115 and Fender Rumble 150. Willing to pay a bit more if necessary. Tips to alternatives are very welcome!

17. TwoRivers

If you're looking at that Ampeg, you should give the Ampeg PF350 or PF500 some consieration. I have the PF500 and two of the Ampeg PF115-he cabinets (each cab is 1x15 w/ a tweeter, which can be disabled). The head mounts to one of the cabs and the lid flips for storage. For small - medium gigs I take the single cab with the head attached and for big gigs I take both cabs. Super easy to tranport, super convenient, and truthfully, although I've taken the second cab to a few shows, I've never needed it (largest show being about 2,000 people). If a venue is big enough to need both cabs, there is usually a good PA and sound engineer (YMMV). Anyhow, this setup gives you A LOT more flexibility. If money is tight, just get the head and 1 cab, then add the second later, if you find you ever need it. Hopefully this helps, since you seemed a little unsatisfied with the responses so far :)

18. TwoRivers

Oh, and as for the "punch" thing. I don't agree at all about smaller drivers having more punch, or larger drivers having more low end. I find the 1x15 cabs I mentioned in the previous post to be extremely punchy at gig/rehearsal volumes. At low volumes they don't respond quite as well, but if you're playing that quietly it's usually at home by yourself anyhow. I should also add that the cabs come with casters, so you can either transport them using the handle on the cab, pushing them using the casters, or just bear hug them and go.

19. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

I have a 2 10 cab I like it I had a 1 15 and I though the tone was very muddy IMO

20. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

Though a 1 15 with a tweeter sounds nice

21. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You are splitting the wrong hairs.

Find me two drivers with different specs, that sound the exact same in every way.