2x15's... What Gives?!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TylerDurdenPSSC, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TylerDurdenPSSC

TylerDurdenPSSC

Why is it that almost no companies currently manufacture a 2x15" speaker cabinet?

Is it performance issues? Bad tone? Just not popular anymore?

It seems back in the day, 15's were all the rage... Now? Not so much.

So, what gives?!

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    They're a little impractical I guess. Take up the same space as an 8x10, but have roughly half the output. And for people that prefer 15s, two single cabs is a lot easier to move, and is scaleable, if it's a smaller gig you can just take one.

I sort of think 8x10s would have died out a long time ago if they weren't the iconic Ampeg cab. A pair of 4x10s is much easier to manage.

3. jelwood

jelwood Supporting Member

215 is a huge cab, only about as loud as a 410 with drivers of comparable sensitivity and whatnot. If you like old 215s you should check out modern 412s, will answer a lot.

4. bassteban

bassteban

If enough people wanted(read *were willing to pay for AND schlep*)them, we'd be swimming in 2x15s. In the day of today, *ultralight* is the thing, for better or worse.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    I've been using two 1x15 Ampeg cabs with my SVT for a few years now. Modular and easy to move.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Two single 15's here as well in my rock rig. Can't easily fit or move a 2x15 in my Subaru...

8. Sartori

Sartori

9. Tim1

Tim1

I could never understand why Bergantino dropped the NV215. My all time favourite cab, but as is stated above I can only assume it was based on a lack of demand. The added (and attenuable) 6" driver gives it much more versatility than many traditional designs. Fifteens were standard in the seventies, then tens took over and now twelves are in vogue. Is there a pattern here??
    I surmise that the art of cabinet design is way more advanced these days, even if the principle behind speaker design remains much the same (just a thought).

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

They don't sell.

Why don't they sell?
    Because they aren't near as loud as mulitple 10" cabs that cost more.

With modern technology the 2x12 is the new 2x15. Modern 12" drivers can move a lot of air. Get the one with the vertical arrangement and stack two of them vertically to be your own PA in a big bar.

11. mcnach

mcnach

Big and heavy, I suppose.
    I like that combo, but I don't use it because I prefer more portable solutions.

12. Sartori

Sartori

I don't know... I know that my friend's 8x10 is probably louder than my 2x15. Yet, I'm just drawn to big cabs with 15" speakers in them. They just have this coolness that I can't quite put my finger on.

13. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Remember not all 215 cabs are equal!! I had a 810 and my 215 blows it away in the volume and low end department and weighs about 60lbs less mind you it is a fEAEful. It is true that the older 215 cabs were no match for a 810 and being the same size a lot people got tiered of having less for more cab. With the advent of these supper 15 cabs don't be surprised if they become all the rave again. I know everyone loves there 10 s but my 115 fEarful makes my 410 sound like a tin box!!

14. Tim1

Tim1

I think you will find that most people who have actually played a Bergantino 215 have never had a problem with power/projection. In one of my bands the guitarist plays a Marshall Hendrix stack, yet we all prefer the 215 over the Berg 610 or my old Ampeg 810 cab.
    I think it is important to recognise that things have changed over the years, and a generic statement that fifteens are quieter than tens etc cannot be applied anymore. While some tens may punch more in the mids, a good 215 cab will fill in the bottom end in a way that a ten or twelve does not, and provides IMO a better on stage fill. Believe it or nor my Berg 215 has more top and is more even across the frequency range than my 610 or old 810. Loves tubes and sounds wonderful with both the SVT VR and the Orange AD200.
    Downunder is right about the huge advances in twelves but it is a matter of taste and to be honest I haven't really been drawn to them other than for the size factor. Horses for course I suppose.
    Don't mean to sound like an ad for Bergantino - I agree with Sartori though, there is something organic and magical about fifteens which just keeps drawing me in. They just sit so......sexily..........in the onstage mix that the whole band seems to groove better.

15. c2thej2theizzo

c2thej2theizzo

in addition to the practicality of two 15 boxes (easy to move) and the improvement of modern day technology of 12" speaker used with bass... and 10" driver handling mid/high frequencies , and getting more wattage in a box etc...

In the late 60's and 70's woofers were generally not as well built to withstand bass, if you blow a woofer, in a live show you are out 1/2 of your sound. Blow em both and ur screwed. Multiple 10's largely became popular to big touring crews because of this reason. you blow one or two 10's its no big deal, the 6 left are enough to overthrow the crappy sound of the blown drivers, just replace before the next show.

Since then people want what they saw and that was an 8x10 ampeg or traynor. Now a days it takes a lot more to blow a well made 15" JBL, Eminence.. etc speaker, but the tradition and advantage of 10's has stuck... I guess.

For me, having the best of both worlds is the way to go
    1x15 w/ 2x10

16. awj03130

awj03130

Actually, check out my post I just laid down... playin' through a JBL 2x15 PA cab and LUV it. That being said, had to buy a mini-van to move it... for some reason, I just couldn't fit it in my Mini Cooper, no matter how hard I tried.... lol.

17. DuoSonicII

DuoSonicII

I stumbled upon a USA-made Ampeg 215E for cheap on my local craigslist a couple of years ago and jumped on it...so glad that I did. It crushes. I run my 70's SVT through it, and couldn't be happier. It's worth the hassle to haul - baaarely fits the backseat of my Subaru - and looks great to boot.

18. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
  19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

This hasn't been my experience - IME, a *quality* 215 is about the same size as a 610, and puts out about the same volume - but with a different tone...

- georgestrings

20. nysbob

nysbob

I play heavy 15" drivers. I re-boxed them as singles 20 years ago as a concession to old age and mobility. Gotta have my 15"s though. :bassist:

21. nevp

nevp

And i'm looking forward to taking delivery of mine real soon :D