2x2 Headstock Templates?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tdf_xi, Apr 15, 2014.

1. tdf_xi

tdf_xi

Hi all,
    For my next project I wanted to make a neck with a 2x2 headstock layout, but I didn't have much luck finding any templates online (plenty of standard 4 inline though), does anyone know of any available? For my previous projects I got the necks ready from Warmoth, but I want to try making this one from scratch and minimizing the chances of screw ups would be nice. Thanks.

2. gmjhowe

gmjhowe

This set of plans has some alternative headstock options - http://ultimate-guitar-online.ultimate-online-services.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48&products_id=329

However, if you know what nut width you want, you can easily draw one up by hand, draw your nut, fold the paper in half draw your placement of the two tuners, then your outside area. Cut and unfold.

If you want an asymmetric design, then draw in and cut out the tuner holes, then draw your outline.

Once you have a paper template you can transfer that to MDF, for the actual tuner holes, I tend to use a centre punch and punch through the paper onto the wood to mark. As such, its worth putting little crosses into your tuner circle holes.