1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

3/4 scale players?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WCHIII, Dec 12, 2012.

1. WCHIII

WCHIII

Just wondering how many gigged regularly
    with a 3/4 scale bass. I play my Fender Jazz
    most if the time because I feel I'm supposed
    to play a 'real' bass. I have small hands and I
    and just love the way my little Ibanez micro
    bass feels. And it sounds pretty darn good!
  2. agent77

agent77 Tin Foil Hat Wearer Supporting Member

I've only had one gig since I switched over to shorties, but received nothing but compliments.

I think the only people who will notice are other bassists.
  3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

3/4 scale bass? Considering that 34" is the standard, 3/4 of that would be 25 1/2 inches. Is that what you're playing?

John
  4. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

I own a couple Mikros but mostly play my 30" scale basses. I also have a couple sub-short-scales around 25.5" scale and a fretless Ashbory 18". So you have my permission to play whatever the heck you want :D .
  5. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I started on a full scale, played short scales for most of my time, and I'm currently playing a Mikro. Will never go back to the 34 or 35 inch scale trees.
  6. Winfred

Winfred

Play and gig with only 30" scales now, love'em.

If it sounds good, and plays well, play it. Nobody in the audience gives a crap. Except maybe some snobby, gearhead bass player.
  7. Roadkill

^ ... and you can always buy a Birdsong if you're worried about "that" crowd ;) .
  8. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

I've played short scales since 68', and except for a bunch of P's and a few J's, that's all I've had. All I have now are shorties, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

The only people who'd notice is other bass players, and if it sounds good and feels good, what does it matter?
  9. Orangeclawhamme

Orangeclawhamme

Do any of you wonder how much better Paul McCartney and Bill Wyman would have sounded if they played REAL basses??

Didn't think so.
  10. mtsens1

mtsens1 Merle Supporting Member

I gig regular mostly with a Gibson T-Bird short scale. Also giged with my Fender Mustang and Gretsch short scales. They all sound great, and never a word on scale length. Besides, who cares?
  11. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

How do you like the feel of your SS Tbird? I find it to be one of the most comfortable basses I've ever owned. Actually the only thing I don't like about it is the quality of the finish, just not what I would expect for an instrument in this price range. But, that will be corrected when I get the one my luthier is working on now back.
  12. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I like 30 inch basses, I dont mind full scale either. I own 2 shorties and 3 full scale basses. I also own a short scale guitar , duo sonic and a long scale Gibson Les Paul.
  13. GregDunn

GregDunn

I gig almost 100% with my Mikro. Love it and feel no need to play a full scale bass except as a stretching exercise. I don't care what the elitists think. :)
  14. backtobass

backtobass Supporting Member

I have two Fender P Bass Junior's that I play out with exclusively. Love them to death. They are sub 30", I think they are similar to the Mikro. Would love to add a SS Gibson T-Bird to the stable though. Someday . . . .
  15. mongo2

mongo2

I gig shortscale basses (30" and under) exclusively.

I have longscales but I don't gig them anymore.
  16. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    I wish Fender put those P Juniors back into production.
  17. Salamenster

Salamenster

I like my Epi EB-0. Haven't gigged it much because it doesn't fit our playing style, but when I do, it's quite a nice beast.
  18. mtsens1

mtsens1 Merle Supporting Member

I love the feel, the 'V' shape of the top of the body is a perfect resting place for my wrist. My thumb goes on the bridge pup (finger player), all knobs all the way on (do my EQ at the amp), plug straight in, ready to go. I'd love it if they made one in something like phelam blue, I'd buy it. It is awkward going from the T-Bird to the fender or gretsch. So T-Bird almost alway's my prime bass. Some day will a second and have it refinished to another color just for kicks, and a backup.
  19. WCHIII

WCHIII

After checking out Birdsong's website, I'm calling them for sure for more info and possibly getting a bass started. I'm reading it will take 6 months to build. I dread that. I had a 5 string banjo built once that took 4 months to complete and that took 5 years off my life.... but it was worth it...
  20. Roadkill

I've used the PBassJr string set with the .110 "E" on a Mikro but they don't sell them any more :( .