3 day old AVRI 74 Jazz goes dead after 3 hours into a practice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groovy_Gravy, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Crazy story here... I was just given a AVRI 74 Jazz bass natural finsh/maple board as a graduation gift.
    Sounds awesome, plays sweet....well it did....

I used it at band practice and by the end of the night i noticed the A string was dead...I couldn't hear it in the mix...then I realize its buzzing around the 5th fret and gets worst until you hit about the 14th fret where it completely frets out until the 18th fret. does this on the E string as well but not nearly as bad. You can actually see where the neck is high then takes a huge dip and then flattens out.

It wasn't like this before. I looked at it good and there was not a single buzz on it when I first got it.

Taking it back tomorrow, and not settling for anything less than a brand new on from the fender factory. That is unacceptable for a $2100 instrument.

What gives?

I was Just about to make a NBD thread saying what a work of art this bass is but now its broke after 2 days.
  2. DeadZeriousBass

DeadZeriousBass

That Sucks man. I hope they replace it for you. Sub'd
  3. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I'm betting it has a vintage style threaded saddles bridge. I've got these on two of my basses(62 avri p and a parts bass I put one of them on).

The bridge saddle set screws on these bridges are notorious for winding themselves down from the vibrations of the strings. Take a look at the bridge the A will probably be low as and probably lop sided too. Get yourself some loctite blue or maybe just some nail polish, you don't want anything permanent though.

First thing I do now when I get these bridges is loctite all the threads. Easy fix just a bit of a pain.

Even if you return it and they give you a new one it'll most likely have the same problem.
  4. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

one side was low. i put it back and even raised it a bit but it still does it.. you can clearly see the neck is bent
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

how much of a bend? fender necks are rarely meant to be dead straight, there should be a slight bend but not much.

Sounds like it may be a combination of the bridge saddles and too much neck relief. You may need to tighten the truss rod, but at this point I am inexperienced and I'd wait for some info from someone who knows a bit more than me.
  7. kedo

kedo

How is the neck bent? Describe the bend in detail...
  8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

IMO even in vintage reissues they should start to put the new graphite rods in the necks. It's just better/sturdier technology. I know it's not period correct but it just seems like it would be the smart thing to do because it might help prevent situations like this. Just my 2 cents
    davedblyoo likes this.
  9. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

its not the relief... its a high spot around 18-20th frets then dips bad around 13 ish-18th then gradually gets straight. its not normal. im not touching the truss rod. the bass played perfect before. it is unacceptable.
  10. kedo

kedo

If it played perfect before, it can be made to play perfect again, it seems.
  11. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

idk. i guess you guys just don't understand what im talking about. a few hrs of play shouldn't make a 2000$ instrument unplayable.
  12. soulman969

soulman969

Sounds about right as far as matching some of the junk CBS owned Fender let out the door in the mid to late 70s. You did say it was an authentic version reissue right? I've played some mid 70s Jazz Basses and that's about as authentic as it gets for some of them. ;) J/K

Is it just something a truss rod adjustment will fix? If it was four square the day you got then did this soon after then it sounds to me like it may just be adapting to it's new home and needs another full setup. If you aren't able to do that the place you got it from surely should be able to do it for you.

If you like the way it looks and you like the way it sounds and all it needs is a little tlc and attention to it's setup I wouldn't rush to replace it until you find out whether those problems can easily be made to go away for good. Just sayin'.
    davedblyoo likes this.
  13. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You'd think not. But often with brand new instruments a little playing time allows parts to settle into place, especially with bolt on necks. It's possible it just needs new strings and a setup.
  14. Bhazulle

Bhazulle Supporting Member

I would almost veture a guess that the truss rod snapped? Not unheard of, but usually only when cranked down by a 14 year old little brother when your at school...:eyebrow:

Should definately have it looked at/returned for a refund/replacement.

Caveat, I'm just a player and not a very good one at that so any diagnosis on my part is purely speculative.
  15. kedo

kedo

I understand what you're saying. Its not like you're writing in Swahili or anything. What I'm saying is that if it played perfect 3 hours ago, it can probably be made to play perfect again.
  16. kedo

kedo

+1
  17. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Take it back and get one without a dip. That's what the warranty is for.
  18. oysteivi

oysteivi

Don't attempt a setup yourself. Take it back to the shop and have them sort it out.

If it is actually a simple setup problem (which it doesn't sound like), have them explain exactly what you can do to avoid having the problem again. If they can't fix it in less than an hour, you should get a replacement.

What you don't want do do is anything that gives them any reason to say you broke it yourself by improper adjustment.
  19. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Sounds like a ski-jump neck. I'm surprised it happened so quickly, but there you are.

Simple fix. Remove all the frets, re-level the fingerboard, re-radius the fingerboard, re-fret, level, crown and polish frets. :D
  20. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

i already have but here goes

its the E and A strings but the A string is much much worse

ill start from open and work my way up.

frets 0-5 play fine

at the 5th fret there's a slight buzz and it increases the buzz until fret 13 or so and then it just completely frets out.

so if you hold the bass and look down the neck from bridge to nut you can see at the heal the neck is curved up from about the 17th-20th frets...from frets 12-17 there's a big dip in the neck and it gradually straightens...hard to explain but i did not do this at all ....even when practice started it was playing perfect when all of a sudden i noticed my output on the A was so low i couldn't hear it with the band which is how i noticed the problem. It never fretted out either until that moment....very odd but i wont settle for anything less than a new one straight from the factory.
  21. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

it looks like the problem is passed the point to where the truss rod is effective IMO. I might be new to playing "professional" basses but Im not new to bass and my $150 squiers dont have these problems

also.. The shop put new strings and set it up before my dad took it home. He watched them do it on the bench.