3 Dog Night amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jeff Scott, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

These look so familiar yet i can't recall what they are:

2. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
  3. Jeff Scott

Standell is a possibility, I just have not seen head and cabinet ones, just combo amps. Not EMC, I do know those as they were from around here and i used (borrowed) some EMC amps in the early '70s.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

For some reason I was thinking Schermie was using a Standel for a period of time, may be wrong ...Allsup the guitar player was using Bruce at that time ... here is an excerpt from an interview he did ...

Question: "You also used a Leslie better than any other guitarist I ever heard, on "Woman" and the live version of "Jam," for example, and the break in "One Man Band" almost sounds like two organs. I suppose, just for clarity, that I should ask if you actually used a Leslie or a pedal such as a Uni-Vibe? "

Answer: "I actually used a real Leslie. I had the gray colored ones, at first a 900 model and then later a 925. Greenspoon and I had a real blast weaving in and out of each other's playing. He sometimes used the 900 series as well, but just as often he would use the old 122 wood cabinets. They are still the real deal as far as the Hammond B-3 organ sound is concerned. I liked the 900 series for guitar. Of course I didn't use only that. I would use a regular guitar amp as well and then blend the sounds. Back then I was using an unheard of amp called Bruce Amps. They weren't particularly good for guitar in the traditional sense. They were first-generation solid-state electronic amps, no tubes at all. They had JBL speakers in the cabinets, which, together with the crystal-clear solid-state circuitry, made for a great response on some of the old stomp boxes I used.

I thought I had read somewhere that Schermie used/preferred Altecs ...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

7. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2

Yes , those are Bruce amps . They did sound good for bass with the JBL speakers . I had one in 1969 for my first real bass amp . Mine had CTS or some other no name speakers in it but for a 215 amp it got pretty loud . Each cabinet had a 100 watt solid state poweramp in it so the head was just a preamp . They had 610 and 412 guitar cabinets and I even had a Bruce P.A. with a 4 channel head , two 412 collums and a 212 side fill cabinet . They all had 100 watt amps in them , pretty ahead of their time .

Three Dog night used them and Soft Machine also used one I think . The guitar player in the video has two 412 cabs and the bass player two 215s .

Here's a pic of my Bruce amp and my Framus bass , my second bass . The head beside it is a Silvertone guitar head and the Gibson amp under the cover is a Thor . Picture was Aug.1970 .

[​IMG]

8. RC52

RC52

They look like Acoustics .

9. Jeff Scott

Interesting info on Bruce amps. Apparently, they seemed to have followed Acoustic's lead as to powered cabinets and separate preamps; also, they do indeed have a similar look to Acoustic, particularly their cabinets.

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

11. Jeff Scott

Yep, that's it! Thanks for that link. :cool: Very cool looking amps.