1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

3 pickup bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by staybobo, Nov 15, 2012.

1. staybobo

staybobo

70s P Bass with a Novak EB-AA Neck, Seymour Duncan Antiquity for P Basss {Twin Coil} Middle, and Tesla Corona-B3 Bridge.

2. line6man

line6man

What about it/them?

3. mcnach

mcnach

Missing a verb or, like... something, dude.

4. line6man

line6man

Probably an image URL.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

He accidentally a RAR file. It's not that bad. :D

7. staybobo

staybobo

Novak EB-AA in the neck position:
    [​IMG]

Seymour Duncan Antiquity for P Bass {Twin Coil} in the middle position: [​IMG]

Tesla Corona-B3 in the bridge position: [​IMG]

Electronics:
    2 '62 Jazz Stacked Bass Knob for neck and bridge pickup
    1 Gold Deluxe P-Bass Stacked Knob for middle pickup
    Certiain Bass bass varitone

Bass varitone: 1st position is flat, wide open bass. 2, 3 and 4 are classic tones of Jaco and Jamerson, 5 is where the midrage dip and metallic sounds of Stanley and Marcus are, and position 6 mimics an out of phase pickup tone (and has the same effect on a P bass or other single pickup bass).

Will this bass setup work for rock, funk, blues, jazz, and country?

8. line6man

line6man

There will definitely be impedance mismatches between those pickups without buffering. I wouldn't think this setup would work well.

Also, what are the six pots going to do?

9. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

I think that's a 6-position rotary switch for fixed tones, rather than six separate pots.

10. staybobo

staybobo

Stacked knobs: volume on top & tone on the bottom with it connected to the varitone pot?

11. line6man

line6man

The tone controls will all interact unless you run a resistance in series with the signal paths to isolate them. This will kill output, however. In any practical sense, trying to run three tone pots with a Varitone would be rather pointless, as well. It's going to end up being a lot less usable than you might expect, and that's adding to the complication of the existing issues you are going to have with insertion loss/loading when adjusting volumes. It's best to just run one master Varitone and either one tone, or none.

Now on the other hand, if you want to buffer each pickup, you can do that and have a tone pot on each, without interaction. The Varitone will need three sets of capacitors, however, as the coils will be buffered from the output, and the low-pass filters only work as you expect when they get to interact with the proper impedance. This is not such a bad thing, however, as each capacitance can be adjusted for the proper frequency cutoff on each pickup, as there are drastically differing output impedances between mudbuckers, split coils and MM style humbuckers.

In any case, you might note that from a practical standpoint, many people don't care for low-pass filters on mudbuckers at the neck position, because there is not very much high frequency content to begin with.

12. line6man

line6man

Billy Sheehan has only the mudbucker and split coil, but his mudbucker is not like the traditional Gibson mudbuckers that I am assuming that Curtis Novak replicates. Very different tonalities, and I'm sure the impedance differs, too. A pickup more like the DiMarzio would probably be better suited in this application, if the goal is usable blends of pickups to a single output.

13. hachi kid

hachi kid

[​IMG]

ahh, ok. I didn't know you were using a single output bass. I use a similar setup, but using dual outputs, and such. yea, the DiMarzio mudbuckers do sound different than the traditional EB-0's.....although, you can get a traditionally "woofy" sound out of them.....look for a Warmoth Jagar Bass on here...I've got sound clips and pics and all...

14. staybobo

staybobo

Dual outputs. The Novak to output one and the SD & TESLĀ to output two. Certian bass varitone master tone.

15. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Any bass will work for any music. A stock P bass will work with any of those styles.The only reason to add pickups is to expand the tone.

I'd leave a stock 70s P bass stock.

16. staybobo

staybobo

Newer fender 70s P bass not original 70s P bass.

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    Then it's not a 70s P bass.... If someone says "70s P bass" that implies the decade it was made, not some reissue.

18. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned

Disclosures:
    It was on his Fender bass. ;)

19. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

That's not a thread that makes me feel warm and fuzzy... Anyhow, man if you want 3,4 or 5 pickups on your bass go ahead and experiment! Now take it from a guy who has messed up (with) a lot of basses over the past 25 yrs. IMO, over the top mods get expensive and are rarely worth it. I had many "what was I thinking?" moments until I decided to sell the instruments I was not satisfied with. More is not always better. Good luck with your project.

20. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Give it a try if it makes you happy.

However, I would try adding the bridge pickup first without the mudbucker. I play a Fender Roscoe Beck Sig and it has a bridge bucker and a middle bucker. Both can be split to single. Both can be set to series or parallel. ("What's your point dude?") Here's my point. I keep the middle (neck) pickup on single and the bridge on series all the time. I switch back and forth or combo and tweek the tone every now and then. I haven't come across a tone I couldn't get really close to with this setup yet. I do fill-in gigs with every kind of band you can think of. If it were me, I would try that first and then see if you really need the third option of the mudbucker. Seems like you will be at the point of diminishing returns though.

Either way, have fun. It's your bass.