1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

3 Spot

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by droo46, Dec 11, 2012.

1. droo46

droo46

I showed up to a gig and a couple of the opening band members had dibs on the power strip.

[​IMG]
  2. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

"THE" power strip? You brought your own, right? LOL.

I'm thinking, from looking at the photo, that there's a 60 cycle hum going on.... :bag:
  3. DeadHeadSF

DeadHeadSF

Wall warts that needlessly eat up space on power strips should be banned, abolished, burned, stomped on, run over by a truck (or better yet, several trucks), then mailed back to the manufacturer.

I will never understand why (especially with music gear) those things are designed that way? Would make more sense to have them like laptop power supplies - with a proper CORD that goes in the outlet, not a huge brick.

</rant>

...sorry, just had to get that off my chest.
  4. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

There are power strips designed differently where you would actually be able to use all the outlets with a onespot plugged in... I have one like that I keep under my pedalboard so that I only have to plug everything into one outlet. Still, I second the laptop power supply type idea.

(Edit) on second thought, if I just used a real power conditioner I wouldn't have a problem and I would have less hum... so that solution is in the solution.
  5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Get some of these:

[​IMG]
  6. Daniel L

Daniel L

The Australian version of the One spot has the plug facing the other way so you can actually fill a whole power board with them, don't understand why they would have this one with the plug at a different angle
  7. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    The standard power strip used to be the "correct" direction. That's why Bob designed the 1Spot the way he did.

The past few years some companies have rotated the plugs. There really is not reason for this, other than to be different. Most power strips are still the "correct" way.

Ground hum can be caused by a lot of things. I would have to know what you're using, what else was plugged in etc.

If the problem only happens at one location but not anywhere else, it could be something there.

Dana at the VS Tech support will be happy to help you figure this out.

I've used the same 1Stop for years all over the USA and several other countries with out a single noise issue. I use it in the studio also with out noise.

I have ran into the occasional power strip you mention. I don't know what the user in the photo didn't rotate the one on the end and plug it into the last position. It would have freed up 2 slots.
  8. droo46

droo46

I just thought this was funny because it defeated the major design consideration of the the 1Spot.
  9. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Lol. I wouldn't be surprised on the hum.

+1 for always bringing your own... I always have a power strip and 50ft extension cable in my car for gigs. And they've saved me more than a few times. :bassist:

5sg.
  10. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
  11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Because theyre designed for use with proper power strips. You wont have this problem on this power strip:

[​IMG]
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

That'd be why it's called a ......drumroll........ one spot instead of a four spot.
  13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Guitards, they're everywhere.