3 vs 5 piece laminated necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Hello all,

I'm torn between two 6-string basses. One of them is comprised of a 3-piece laminated maple neck, and the other is a 5-piece laminated maple neck.

They are both from the same manufacturer and as far as I know they both have single-action truss rods.

Since it is a 6-string model, would be there a difference between the stability of each neck?

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Not really, once you get past three pieces its mostly aesthetic.

3. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

Awesome Hopkins. That's good to know. I didn't think it would be a huge difference, but never owning a 6-string before made me think there the extra pieces could make a bigger difference.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Some may disagree with me, but as long as the grain is apposing so one side counters the movement of the other it will be fine. Hell a one piece neck with stiffening rods would be fine also, though it would have a bigger chance of twisting.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

That's awesome. I found on the manufacturer's site that the laminate pieces are quartersawn, and from what I read seem to aid is stability a bit (or maybe just the effectiveness of the glued joints?)

Anyways, I have two other basses from the same manufacturer, and the grains are different. I think it's down correctly, but of course I couldn't tell which way they'd want to bow naturally, unless unglued from eachother, but both of these necks are sturdier than my American Fender was with two graphite rods. But they are also just 4 strings models.

When I saw the same 3-piece method was used for the 6-string version, I wasn't too worried, until I saw another one of their 6-string versions with the 5-piece method. That made me wonder if the 3-piece method was inferior. But you've alleviated my concerns in this matter.

Thanks Hopkins.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Either should be as good as (or near enough) as the other,
    however, if you're concerned about the eventuality if twist,
    2 (double) trussrods can give a compensation for that.