1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

3-way toggle switching for coil tapping.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Maynjo, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Maynjo

Maynjo

Hi, I have an ibanez srx bass with a 3-way pickup selector in it. I'm trying to wire the bass to have a coil tapping switch. Can I just use the 3-way tele style switch i have or do i have to get a mini toggle? also I have a mini toggle but its too short to fit in one of the pot holes. do they make longer ones? thanks.

2. line6man

line6man

You can't add a coil tap switch to a bass, unless the pickups were wound with taps, and if they were, there would already be a switch, because they would not have been wound with taps for no reason.

You can, however, add a switch for coil splitting (which often gets confused with tapping) if you have dual coil (non-split) pickups with four-conductor outputs. While true coil splitting is the switching from two coils to one coil, the term often applies to series/parallel and series/single coil/parallel switching, as well. You'll have to be more specific on what you want, as there are four wiring options per pickup, (series, parallel, north coil, south coil) and only two or three positions on toggle switches.