1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

3 years and wanting to grow more!!

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by DNA_BubbaD, Jun 24, 2013.

1. DNA_BubbaD

DNA_BubbaD

Hi, I am Dionis Agustin. I started playing bass at my church's Youth and College group when I was 19 years old because there was a need for a bassist in each band. I always liked the sound of the bass and love how it's "simple" yet holds the band together. I only played the violin when was in elementary school, so musicianship was not my forte, really isn't still... But from playing these last 3 years multiple times a week at church, I have grown to love the bass and being in a band. I have so much more room to grow. I was taught by my girlfriend, who doesn't play the bass, just the piano and a little bit of the guitar. She would just walk me through tabs for each song we'd play.. since then, I haven't really grown in knowledge of keys and the bass. By that I mean, no matter what songs we play, if the song calls for an 'E' to be played, I play open E or E an octave up on the same E string. Same goes with A or a G that needs to be played. So my style is super basic and incorrect. It gets the band by, but not excellently.
    In the last three years, I've been playing a Fender Squier that a fellow band mate, Levi, gave me. It was his bass, but he plays the guitar and drums mostly. But just this week, another band mate, Steve, that I've been playing with for all 3 years of my time on the bass, just got me a brand new Fender American Standard Precision Bass out of the blue. Steve got the bass on sale, 50% off actually, but get this... He got the bass - for me - a week and a half before his wedding! This man is so humble, and others oriented, it didn't matter he was getting married and had other huge expenses to worry about. So with all that said, I am in the position to honor him and God in my musicianship.
    If you guys have any pointers on how to/what to practice I would appreciate that very much. I have an idea of what I'm going to work on, but if you have any exercises, let me know! I look forward to getting to know other Bassists on this forum and getting to know this community more.

2. tbone0813

tbone0813 Supporting Member

Welcome and congrats on the new bass.

I am studying with Cliff Engel. He has put together a lot of great lessons for studying online. He also offers really inexpensive Skype lessons that you can team up with the online lessons. You can check out his site here.

Good luck and enjoy.

3. CobraCurt

CobraCurt

Welcome to the forum!