1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

$30,000+ Nation Wide Bassist Search

Discussion in 'Wanted: Bass Players' started by DirtPoorRobins, Feb 15, 2010.

1. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins

Hi talkbass. First off, I am putting this info up as a gesture to how much I believe in this band and want a talkbass member to get the gig! This is the best band I've ever been in and has world class musicians from North Texas State, Glenn Miller Band, guys who have toured the world as sidemen, and a gal who has played with tom kennedy and matt wallace. These are amazing musicians that you will play with and get paid around $34,000 per year your first year and pay will increase every year after. The gig requires you to play both upright and electric, be a very strong reader, and be under 35 years old.
    That's right the Air Force Heartland band of America in Omaha, NEis looking for a new bassist. You will be in either the rock or big band group and ONLY PLAY MUSIC! I repeat ONLY PLAY MUSIC! You will never be a guard, shoot at people, deploy for a year in the desert as infantry. You will only play music!

My typical day is as follows:
    8am-Arrive at work
    9am-Rehearsal
    noon-Lunch
    1:30pm-work on bass gear/practice/learn new tunes/answer emails
    MWF-3:00pm- go home
    T/H-4:30pm- go home

Tours- 3-5days a couple times a month around the midwest. We play anywhere from small air force balls to giant stadiums aka-twins games, in the park concerts to 30,000 people.

Ask away any questions you want!

2. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars, D'addario/Planet Waves Products
    If I had a double bass, I'd be on this like white on rice.

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Previously cybersnyder Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    I've seen other Air Force jazz bands and they were incredible. All top notch musicians.

You do need to do basic training, right?

I was in the Army and I can vouch that the Air Force treats its people like professionals without all the BS you typically associate with the military.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    A little misleading on the "only play music" thing, but it is a VERY sweet gig.

All Air Force musicians will have a "collateral" job - but all of them go into the day to day running of the band.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Moreover, you will never do anything that could compromise your hands, since they are your meal ticket. What a gig!

7. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

I saw the Air Force band perform in Carnegie Hall a couple of years ago on Thanksgiving eve. They were incredible. If I were 35 or under, I would grab this.

8. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins

Yeah, what I meant by "only play music" is that you will never be asked to guard the gate, work in the kitchen, translate Arabic, or jump out of a plane. You will have other duties, but basically you're just helping the band run itself. Someone has to drive the truck, order new gear, book gigs, buy music, ect.

9. t0t0m

t0t0m

sounds cool..

10. brookmus9

brookmus9

What is the age limitation?

11. Pacman

Disclosures:
    34 years is the maximum age

12. sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey

Would be a hell of a music video!!

13. christianbass

christianbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Don't know about the Air Force, but the age limit right now for the Army is 41 (prior service add how many prior service years you have - 41 yoa with 4 years service max age is 45).

Recently, I was accepted into the Army Reserve Band. I am prior service, and based on my past experience including the Air Force and Army, the band is a totally different world compared to the rest of the military occupations. I wish I had done this years ago. The military band is a great job. There are more benefits than the normal benefits of the other occupations (i.e. paid advanced lessons, attending specialized seminars, the best equipment, etc.)

I would suggest, if your even remotely interested in the military band, go to the audition. It will give you an idea of what to expect in the future, even if you don't pass the audition (military bands will obviously be hiring in the future). That is what I did, and I actually passed the audition. Make sure to contact a recruiter or representative from the band you want to audition with. Do not depend on a regular recruiter, for they often do not understand the recruiting process for the band.

14. Pacman

Disclosures:
    I understand. For the Air Force, the maximum age is 34.

The rest of your post is pretty spot on though. I've been in the Army band system and the Air Force band system. In both, we have been happier than our enlisted counterparts in other career fields.

15. christianbass

christianbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Pacman, I owe you and others that posted to a similar thread last year some gratitude. Y'all sparked some interest which led me to research the Army band and eventually get a bass slot in the 313th. Thank you.

16. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins

I'm still pretty stunned that this thread isn't full with people wanting to audition. Guys talk all day about wanting to quit their day jobs and be a pro bassist, or tour, or record, or whatever. Here's your chance! Don't let the word MILITARY scare you away! It's a great job guys, and you still get to play out at night with whoever you want in town. I've made just as much gigging around town that I get from the Air Force some months, but omaha just happens to be a great city for good bassists.

17. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Wow, the only 40 hour (or not even) a week regular paycheck bass playing job in the world, right here in Omaha. I live in Omaha. Too bad I'm not a strong reader, and can't play upright. Plus I kinda suck :meh:

18. reedo35

reedo35

Another Little detail not mentioned is the requirement for making the AF Height/Weight / Physical fitness standards. Just FYI :)

19. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

A little detail sure, but not one that should scare anyone. I joined the Navy Band at the age of 33 overweight and out of shape. Showed up at boot camp in the dead of winter in Great Lakes, Illinois. Came out of boot camp looking and feeling the best I ever had(maybe I need to go back).

This is a great opportunity for someone to fulfill their dream of being a full time musician with many benefits. Don't let it pass you by.

20. Pacman

Disclosures:
    This really is just about the best gig available nowadays. I can't believe they don't have applicants beating down the doors....

21. DirtPoorRobins

DirtPoorRobins

Just to let you all know, we have a date towards the end of April assigned for this bass audition with a couple guys signed up to be there. If you have any interest I would not hesitate or you will miss this boat here in Omaha.