30-40w amp trough P.A.?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by djole94hns, Mar 6, 2014.

1. djole94hns

djole94hns

As I have posted before, I am on the market for a bass amp in a price range of maximum 150 euros. I am most probably buying used. BUT... I was told by 2 bassists so far that I don't need more then 30-40w for small gigs, or even medium ones. They told me it was better for me to save money and get a smaller amp from a better brand/quality amp, with a "Line out" port, and let it trough a P.A. system. Consider that I have attended many gigs/parties troughout my city and pretty much all of the clubs/bars have an amplified P.A. system.

So, save money and get a lower power amp, or go all out and get a 100w or higher? Also take into consideration that ALL of the amps I have found so far (in my area, I don't trust people online ever since I got a completely broken laptop... and I ordered a monitor) in my price range was a couple of really crappy amps with 100-150w and only 1 good one, Fender Rumble 60w.

Also a small rant: Why do people in Serbia tend to over-price their second-hand gear and electronics? I have even seen the extreme case in which a guy tried to sell his used electronic device at the same price as the new one cost at the time, just because he paid more for it 2 YEARS ago. (and not that much more...)
    Do people tend to do that in your countries? And I don't mean just a few "rotten apples", I mean pretty much 95% of the population?
    I have seen U.K. Amazon and German eBay, they tend to stick to the formula of taking AT LEAST 50% off the original pricetag for used goods, depending on age and damage of course. Even had a guy offer me a trade for my 3-channel DJ mixer, which I priced 30-35 euros, for the BROKEN netbook, which he claims is "working perectly, you just need to replace the screen, the keyboard, the etc."... -.-
  2. MakoMan

MakoMan

Grab that Rumble 60. It will do the job.
  3. djole94hns

djole94hns

So, you are saying I should not even consider the cheaper alternative? I am not trying to go the cheaper route because I am cheap (even though I am a bit cheap :bag: ), but am asking a legitimate question: will my bass playing be heard on the P.A. even if I use, for example, Marshall MB30 amp with a line out to the powered mixer?
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If you're in a good PA system, you could go completely amp-less. BUT- Most of us would prefer to have something that can handle the room by itself, should the need arise.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. djole94hns

djole94hns

I noticed that :) So, I would be ok with a smaller amp on the P.A.? I really don't see myself performing anywhere but small clubs and pubs in the near future, and pretty much all of them have some pretty cool soundwork done :) I once joked with a bandmate about snatching a local bar's equipment, I tako the mixer, he takes one speaker and the drummer one more, and just run for the doors xD too bad I have that nasty thing called "morals"... ;)
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do gigs on a semi-regular basis using a 35w practice amp. But I'm not looking to be Metallica, either. I think there are some situations where 35w will be fine and others where it won't. But if you have PA for all your gigs, the demand to be loud from the stage gets lower. This is a real "Only you can answer that question" question.