1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

30,80'' (!)scale EB-3: short or medium flats?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by happy_tom, Jan 3, 2014.

1. happy_tom

happy_tom

Hi!

I have been eyeing D'addario Chromes for a while, but reading all of the old topics I am now not sure should I buy short or medium scale flats?

I have a 1960's ltd. ed. Epiphone EB3 with an unusual scale of 30.8''
    It has the stock bridge, which adds it's own problems to the picture: there's very little room between the ball end and the saddle, so preferably the string shouldn't have silk at the ball end.
    [[​IMG]

Or can I simply cut the silk off with no harm? :confused:
    I haven't really gotten around to mess with this bass yet, it had roundwound Pyramids with no silk on forever. They're okay, but I really fell in love with the feel of flats.

I really don't wanna buy the wrong ones, becouse shory flats, not to mention medium ones are really impossible to get here, so I have to order online, and it ain't gonna be cheap even for Chromes or DR (which are the only two options available anyway...).

Sooo, thanx for help.
  2. hotbass57

hotbass57

I use med. scale chromes on my hofner. i'd go with med scale.
  3. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I put tiny washers on the ball ends to solve the silk problem on my Epi's.

Cheap. Works.
  4. donn

donn

Standard short scale is 30.5, isn't it? I'm not making any promises that a particular set is going to fit, but not because your scale is 5/16 inch longer than standard.