1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

30"Scale B.Guitar - request advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scottie65, Mar 8, 2014.

1. scottie65

scottie65

Jul 31, 2013
    Colorado
    I am considering a 30" scale bass guitar due to my medium to small hands and my reach. I will be using it to learn to play at home and hopefully small events in the future . I am considering the violin style bass Jay Turser, Hofner Ingition or Contemporary, and the the Rogue VB100. From what research I have done it looks like the Jay Turser might be best quality for the price but I am seeking advice from any member that would like to help me decide. Any advice on these would be great. Initially I was just looking at solid bodies which at present trying to keep the purchase to a minimum I am leaning toward the Gretsch G2220 Junior Jet II which looks pretty nice and I think the sound is pretty good. Any advice on this one would be helpful also. If one of the violin models would work out that would be great. I would like to use it for blues, funk, jazz and popular music. I play with fingers and not a pick. I am not just a Beatle type music only person but still like some of their music. I am trying to get a light weight guitar that is why I thought about the violin style hollow body but also want to stick with a 30" scale. Good balance would be good but sometimes you can not get all you want in the mix for an inexpensive guitar($200-$400). Presently I own a 34" scale Schecter Raiden Custom 4 which I like but am trying to get a more comfortable playing bass with the 30" short scale.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    The Epiphone EB-0 and Allen Woody Signature model are both in your price range. I'm not sure if the Epiphone EB-3 is short scale, but it's worth a look. There is also a Squier Jaguar model that is a short scale.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Orangeclawhammr

Orangeclawhammr Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Redford, MI
    I'll be the first of many to suggest the Squier VM Jaguar SS. It can be had for about $180. I have one and have had an Epiphone Viola (violin shaped) bass. The balance n the Squier is not perfect, but it is worlds better than those violin basses. There are also Squier Mustang basses that fit your budget.

5. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Dec 18, 2013
    Epiphone's EB3 is standard scale; the EB0 is short-scale. When I was in your position, I narrowed it down to the EB0, the Epiphone Thunderbird Pro, and the Gretsch Junior Jet II. After my luthier friend made me a deal I couldn't refuse, I ended up with the Gretsch. I'm quite pleased with it.

6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Squier Jaguar SS. I bought one for my teenager. Pretty nice bass, standard-sized (so upgradeable) pickups, bridge, electronics.

I don't see anything out there that's a better buy.

7. SnappyFerret

SnappyFerret What it is, what it is Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I am very happy with the Hofner Ignition B-Bass. I, too, play with my fingers rather than a pick. The light weight (about 5 lbs) of the body is great for a long practice or gig. I have no problem with "neck dive" since I play with the neck at a 45 degree angle and have a strap with some texture/roughness to the back. I did not like the round-wound strings it came with, though. The E and A were fine, but the D and G sounded tinny. When I put on LaBella Deep Talkin" Bass strings (flat wound stainless, .039 to .096), though, the bass came alive with a deep, warm, belchy tone on all four strings. Be aware, however, that the sustain on a hollow-body bass is a little less than on a solid body bass. The tone (with LaBella strings) is magnificent, though.

8. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    +1 on value at $179. I got one from Amazon once that came surprising well set up.

The Squier VM Mustang is $100 more. I personally like it over the Jag for tone, comfort (a little less neck-heavy) and looks (I like the sunburst).

I haven't tried the Gretsch, but a lot of folks really like them.

Spend some time playing a violin bass before you buy one. A lot of Hofner players prefer the Club model for comfort.

9. scottie65

scottie65

Jul 31, 2013
    Colorado
    Thanks for all the input guys. It is very helpful and greatly appreciated.