1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

300-500 watt micro heads - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by don21480, Jan 21, 2014.

1. don21480

don21480 Supporting Member

Love my Markbass F1 and I am looking for a similar powered head as a back up and just to shake things up. I like an old school sound, play a pbass with a pick. My bands play classic rock, Van Morrison, Stax, Motown, Bob Dylan, Honky Tonk etc.
    Any suggestions?

2. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Since you already have Markbass, then the GK stuff is cool. I have a GK-MB500 that sounds great.

3. eriky4003

eriky4003

Aguilar Tone Hammer? GK MB500 or the Fusion?
    Carvin BX500?

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Be the first to grab the new Carvin B1000. Looks like a winner in price/performance. Free shipping right now.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aparker82

aparker82

Ampeg makes a 350 and a 500 that are micro heads

7. don21480

I used to have a MB250 and it was a cool little head for sure. I wish ampeg made something like the micro vr with more power too. Good suggestions, keep em coming!

8. TwinBass

TwinBass

I'm using an Aguilar TH350 and it rocks my socks off. I tried a MB head (can't remember which one) and while it sounded good, there is something beautiful about the simplicity of the tone hammer.

9. carl h.

carl h.

PF350, PF500

10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Orange Terror Bass 500

11. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Aguilar TH350/500 or a GB Streamliner for the tone you're looking for.

Mesa Walkabout might be another option, but it's not exactly micro. But it may bump your F1 to backup status. :)

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As you are in the States, check out Carvin's BX500. It's a nice little amp and pretty cheap too.

13. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

14. don21480

wow - lots of options - I'll be researching sound clips tonight!

15. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aguilar TH500 or Genz Benz Streamliner. I know a guy who has both and I bet he'd let you borrow them for a test-drive.

16. don21480

check your email - great minds think alike!

17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Difference between Fender and Carvin
    Right now, I stay clear of Carvin, their 1 year warranty is the worst in the industry.

Fender, 5 year transferable warranty, Fender has multiple service centers, I highly suspect GB hands are in the designs. i.e. they're using known good modules and special limiting and feedback. These new fender rumbles are something special.

18. bkirk

bkirk

I was in a similar frame of mind and have a MB F500 which I love and is essentially the same as your F1.
    I wanted a backup that was a little different. Bought an Aguilar TH350. Didn't really care for it initially as it was too old school for this old guy. I like some warmth but really don't like that breaking up, saturated sound that I used to get out my old amps back in the day.
    Did some research here, particularly Ken Jung's wealth of info on Tonehammers, and am now loving it and using it as my primary amp. Turns out I had a misconception of the role of the gain knob. (A little goes a long way). Also, I've found the TH350 to have plenty of power as a substitute for the F500, though you may need the added juice of the TH500 for your purposes.
    IMHO a TH350 or 500 might be just the thing for your equipment and style.
    My $0.02.
    Bruce

19. Linnin

Linnin

+100 The New Fender Rumbles Are Extraordinarily Special!
    You owe it to yourself to audition one. :cool:

20. NWB

NWB

Yeah, I think you pretty well described the Tonehammer for your playing style. They are very well built too with a great warranty.

21. don21480

Bruce - good info. Fellow TB'er just let me borrow his TH500 and with little tweaking I really like it - a lot. The low end is a little more focused than the F1 but has a nice old school thump which is right down my alley. It seems the extra wattage of the TH500 might be nice to have for the outdoor wedding gigs one of my bands does?