300$ budget, 4 string, drop tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danmyung5535544, Nov 5, 2012.

1. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Hello all, i've made a topic about this before, but the options are overwhelming!

so far im debating between the sr250, or sr300 from ibanez, its a 50 dollar difference but what makes em add the 50 dollars to the price tag on the sr300?

I plan on playing a full step down, and would like as many recommendations for a 4 string bass under 300 for that purpose, preferring a slim /fast neck. Please none of the squier vintage series, im getting one of those down the line for a different purpose but for right now help me out!

2. danmyung5535544

danmyung5535544

Also i have been looking at the ephipone eb-3... bad for full step down?

3. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Imo any bass will work well for down tunings. It's the strings that count. Look to buy used. There are tons of deals to be had if you look for them. I use a washburn xb900 for my drop tunings. I got out off the used wall at GC.

4. jellejanssen

jellejanssen

Buy the bass you like the most, every bass is good for drop tuning :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You've got the SR250, but then you've got the SR300. It's 50 more, isn't it?

7. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Nicer bridge, nicer body, nothing you can't live without if the $50 is a big deal to you.

Ken

9. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Look used, you'll get more bass for the price. You can find some Spector Legends around that price that sound great in drop tunings.

+1 on strings making a difference as well.

10. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Used Ibanez ATK

11. bassmeknik

bassmeknik

+1 it is in the strings not the bass. Trying to maintain proper string tension is IMO the important part. Standard string gauges feel to floppy to me when down tuned a whole step.

For a 4 string I use D'addario EXL-230 and they are plenty tight in what I call "D standard" (all strings down one step). I use it for singing old school rock covers mostly when I sit in with friends as I am not a tenor... I also have a guitar set up specially for those performances as all three of my regular guitarist buddies use standard tuning and so them tuning to me is not a viable option. Getting the guitar set up to my liking took a lot more experimentation but I am now using a set that starts .012 .016 .020 and the bottom three I am undecided as to how big the gauge needs to be. I am presently using a set that goes to .054 but want to buy a set that ends with .060 and use them for a while before making the final decision.

12. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I don't use drop tuning, but I've been delighted with Circle K strings on my fiver.

They offer an amazing choice of gauges. It just won't be a problem to find the gauge you need to obtain the string tension you like.

13. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    Get the SR250 and take the $50 to get yourself a killer set of strings that won't be all floppy when you tune down. Depending on what feel and type you like, you should do some research on here before you pop on a set.

14. bassburner

bassburner

Media:
    Albums:
    I second this. I had an SR250 and later upgraded to my SR700 and had no complaints about the SR250. Ibanez's site is great for giving all the details but the primary differences are the wood and the bridge.

Are you downtuning all the strings 1 step or just drop-D. If you're going just drop-D I say go for the Rotosound Billy Sheehan's. No suggestions for all downtuned as I don't ever tune that way.