1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

300US$ for a secondhand beginner set bass. Is it a good deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eryka Remy, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Eryka Remy

Eryka Remy

I'm given an offer : IbanezGIO bass, unknown series, 5 strings, bought in late 2008, used only for a year by a very attentive guy, then ABANDONED till now + fender rumble 60 amp, bought 2008, abandoned + case + stand = 300US$. Is it worth the price? If possible, can you estimate the market price for each item with such condition? Thanks!

2. armywalaby

armywalaby

3. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

That's actually a decent price given all you're getting. A new bottom level GIO fiver is $200, plus you're getting a practice amp, case, stand, etc. If you like the bass and you're a beginner then it seems like a decent deal. See if you can get them to go down to $275 or so.

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

The bass can be had for under $200 all day, and the amp under $150. The GIO line is beginner level stuff, but entirely functional. As a complete starter package, no fuss-no muss, $300 is about right. You may do better if you buy the items individually, but it will take time, and that has value.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fourstringbliss

This ^

7. bassteban

bassteban

Sounds like a fair deal for new, but I wouldn't pay that for used stuff. Even in good shape there is no warranty. Pass

8. fourstringbliss

Good point.

9. zachoff

zachoff

I wouldn't wish a GIO on my worst enemy.

10. madurolover

madurolover

I wouldn't pay it, not worth it to me

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Do you think you could buy that setup new for $300?? Bass:$200, Amp:$250, Case:$100, Stand:$10 So now you're at $560, add state tax, and you're close to $600. Now add in your driving around time and gas expense. Over $600. And you're going to pay over double the asking price just for a warranty??!! That's crazy. A warranty for what? The amp? It's an '08, it's unused, and it's solid state. Plug it in and play it. If noise comes out of it, you're fine.

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I'm curious - say you have $300 to set yourself up with a beginner's 5-string kit. The amp should be 60w or better. Must have a case and a stand. Given that, what would YOU do?

13. zachoff

zachoff

$175 for the bass on craigslist.
    $100 for the amp on craigslist.
    $20 for a stand at GC.
    $5 for a bomber of good beer.

14. zachoff

zachoff

Also, not sure why you're specifying 60W+... At that price, you're going to get a practice amp and 30W through a 1x10 isn't going to be much quieter than 60W through a 1x10.

15. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Apples to apples, 60w combo to 60w combo.

That craigslist scenario doesn't seem realistic to me. Unless Ibanez GIO 5'ers - with case, and Fender 60w amps are perpetually available everywhere at all times. In that condition and at those prices.

16. hover

hover

Is this the one the anger issues kid had? ;) is the amp all stabby?

Is this poster in fact the same person? ;) genuine curiosity, this being your first post and all.

17. zachoff

zachoff

It's entirely possible if you're not stuck on getting a certain brand. Here's some from my local. Figure Boston has an even greater supply:

Amp: $150
    http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3561024756.html
    Amp: $75
    http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3560308148.html
    Amp: $165
    http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3504364354.html
    Amp: $100

Bass: $125
    http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3557244646.html

You're getting entry-level stuff, man. I wouldn't sweat the brand names & condition. If you stick with bass you'll grow out of it pretty quickly and want something better. If there's nothing like this in Boston, wait a week or so. There will be.

18. OneMoreRobot

OneMoreRobot

Indeed, if you wait for the right stuff on Craigslist you could probably find a better deal. I've found that people who have one posting with a lot of different stuff also tend to have better deals.

19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You stated U.S. dollars so I assume you live in another country. Whether or not this is a good deal is determined by the prices in your country. In the US this would not be a good deal. However, in some parts of the world it might be a great deal.

20. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Not a ripoff, but certainly not deal of the century. If I needed this setup, I'd offer them 250 and probably walk away if they wouldn't take it.

21. bassinplace

bassinplace

Sounds like a fair deal to me. Not good, not bad. If it were me, I'd keep shopping around for a better deal.