30lbs or less amplification PLEASE

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by asis, Mar 12, 2014.

1. asis

asis

I'm playing in an 8 piece jazz combo at school and need to get myself something i can cary around at school. I recently acquired a mark bass little mark III and was wondering if it's okay to couple it with an EA wizzy 10, but I can't find too many great reviews on this cab so i'm hesitant to buy it. I know the cab is 4 ohms, is that too much power from the amp into the cab?
    I keep falling deeper into this hole of going more and more lightweight. I would like a GB shuttle 3.0-10t combo cause it weighs nothing but they are hard to come by. I'm looking for something mainly for my upright but i do play electric every now and then. I think at least 200-ish watts should be okay.

i'm open to any recommendations. I have a 4 10 set up if i need bigger, so i'm not worried about that. I'm more interested in something i can carry to rehearsals in one hand that can hold its own. Thank you.

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    You can use the Markbass with the Wizzy 10; the minimum load for the Markbass gear is usually 4ohm. So you can use the Wizzy 10 alone, but don't add a second cabinet.

The Wizzy 10 is a tight little cab, puts out a lot of sound (very efficient) but still has quite good bass response (often, there's a trade-off between efficiency and bass response). Keep in mind that there are practical limitations to a single 10 - a lot of the "bass" you'll hear is somewhat psychoacoustic, due to overtones - but if your volume needs are "modest-to-middling" it should do quite fine.

Since I'm a dealer, I'll leave it at that - feel free to contact me if you have other questions. I imagine that others may weigh in as well.

3. asis

asis

useful information, thank you. I won't risk blowing the speaker? I just don't know how well the little 10 can handle a nice bassey sound. I'm skeptical. Do you think i should maybe look for a lightweight 12in cab instead? it would be nice to have a small foot print but i don't want to sacrifice too much low end.
    what cabs have you guys found work for you? I know this topic has been done over and over but my searching is never enough...

4. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

I use an AI Focus Series III to drive my Wizzy 10 alone during rehearsals with our 17-piece big band. Small room, thickly padded; never breaks a sweat. I can fit both into a cajon bag with my amp and cables.

For engagements in a large space, I put it on top of my Wizzy 12M and point it at our drummer and the rest of the band.

The Wizzy 12 (29 lbs) and Wizzy 12M (34 lbs) are both lovely cabs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tyb507

tyb507

I know of a Genz-Benz 6.0-12t combo for sale in Vermont for pretty cheap (not mine)...your location isn't listed. Those tip the scales at 31# according to their website.

7. bucephylus

bucephylus

IMO, the most bass for the pound out there in this class would be the Berg CN112 + the micro of your choice. I would personally find a GB Shuttle 9.2. You would be amazed what that little rig would do.

8. andy6126

andy6126 Supporting Member

I've got an Aguilar GS112, only 25 lbs with a GenzBenz Shuttle 6.0 and am happy with it. I haven't heard of many others using the Aguilar but I'm happy with it.

9. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

I've played through a couple of different Genz Benz amplifiers, primarily the Shuttle 3.0 10T and the Shuttle 6.0 12T they were great, lightweight amps for DB and EB. My concern would be the longterm outlook for having them serviced. For the moment, Fender has a Genz Benz repair department, with very knowledgable support staff. How long that will last is unknown. Just something to think about, I'm not sure it would stop me from buying one used if it were available.

Ric

10. Rob22315

Rob22315

Its 42 lbs actual weight according to Amazon!? Do you mean the SL112?

11. wmheilma

wmheilma

I borrowed a little EA head and 2x10 from a buddy a while back, because he wanted me to try it out. It weighed next to nothing, was tiny, and LOUD!!! in fact I got asked to turn it down :) EA is great gear!

12. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine

Series 4 AI Clarus head into an Arnopol composite Crazy 8. Boom! 14 lbs of lovely.

13. tyb507

tyb507

The Crazy8 is an amazing little cab (why did I sell mine?!?!), and if you can find a composite one used (he no longer builds composites) it's around 11lbs. I ran an Aguilar TH500 into mine and it was a dream for coffeehouse gigs, and could even hang fine with drummers if they weren't hitting too hard.

14. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Personally, I love using the NoAmp for gigs. Extremely lightweight.
    :bag:

15. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

You should have no concern with running a powerful amp into a small cabinet as long as you are smart about it. If it is going to sit in a practice room and others are going to fool with it, turn all the knobs up and bang away than you need to have concerns.

That being said if you are walking around the school moving from rehearsal room, to stage to practice room. Carry bass, amp and music in a single trip, than a small combo amp with a handle on top may be best. The old metal GK MB or a Polytone minibrute are great for that kind of stuff. When you eventually smash it into a door jam or drop it you'll have little worry.

The wizzy 10 is a great cabinet if you choose to go with a seperate amp, cab set up.

16. pan1k

pan1k Supporting Member

I have GK MB112 (200 watt) That is my "jazz / small gig" amp. Works really well for both electric (duh) and acoustic bass. I got an amp stand to get it off the ground so that the bass can carry. Works like a dream. Eventually I'd like to get one of the "metal GK" combos that peterpalmieri is talking about or maybe a Wizzy with my MBfusion

17. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Just listen for signs of distress from the cab (onset of compression, distortion, fartout). If something doesn't sound right, back off.

And if you haven't already, give Mark Gollihur a holler.

18. asis

asis

Thanks for all the input! awesome recommendations. I'm really digging 3:
    -wizzy 10: 18lbs 250W (available)
    -GK mb150: 24lbs 150W (kinda hard to come by. have to keep checking craigslist)
    -Genz Benz shuttle 3.0-10t: 18lbs 175W (Hard to come by)
    I also read about a Barefaced super midget (23lbs). that thing looks beast! Up tho 600 watts, but i can't rationalize spending 1000 for the cab. (at least i keep trying to convince myself it's a bad idea) has anyone tried this with an upright?
    I probable don't have a keen enough ear to be able to hear the difference between a 10 and 12 anyway. I'll keep you guys posted on what i decide.

19. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T is much better than the GK MB150, but probably harder to get. I even like the sound of my Polytone Mini-Brute II better than the sound of the MB150 ...
    You might want to try a Ibanez Promethean or a Carvin amp too, but they might be a bit heavier than what you want. Or use a EA Doubler or a GK mini-amp with the Wizzy.

20. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

+1 This was an unfortunate result of the change in their Pre Amplifier voicing that occurred then they went from the 200MB's (Series I and Series II) and the MBE and MBS. The midrange wasn't complementary to DB.

Good choices all around, both the Ibanez and the Carvin are very reasonably priced, and relatively lightweight.

21. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member