30th Anniversary Stingray Pre

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steveinohio, Mar 1, 2014.

1. steveinohio

steveinohio

Hey guys I just bought a 30th Anniversary Stingray a while back. It sounds fantastic! Aside from the weight its my favorite bass of all time. What did they do different with this preamp to make it sound so different? I know the mahogany body helps contribute a lot to the different sound. Does it do that much? It really is almost the perfect cross between a two band and three band. Mind blown!

2. TSanders

TSanders Supporting Member

if Im not mistaken, there is also a mahogany tone block in the 30ths.

May be wrong on that. I know the 20th Ann. StingRay 5s had a mahogany tone block inside and they were special. Still kick myself for selling that one. Just a little warmer in the mids, and more airy in the highs, but killed live.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The mahogany tone block is the entire body. :D

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    This might help. It's a website dedicated to the history Musicman Basses. It includes links on the left side of the home page where you can research serial numbers, woods and components.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. steveinohio

steveinohio

Hey guys thanks for the replies! If you havent checked one out you should! Such a great sound.

7. jtroska

jtroska

I have a 2008 "family reserve" Sterling that is also said to have a mahogany tone block. Ok, so idiot question coming up: what is the tone block? I can't actually see the wood because the front is covered with a flame maple top and the back is painted solid black. Is it the whole body behind the maple top? Or just a piece like where the bridge is anchored or something?

8. TSanders

TSanders Supporting Member

oh yeah, duh!!

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The tone block runs down the center of the body. Sort of like a neck through but instead of it being the same wood as the neck, it's mahogany.

10. jtroska

jtroska

Ah interesting. Thanks.

11. steveinohio

steveinohio

There is a great video of the tour of the MusicMan factory on youtube. They show the tone block and how its used in their guitars in one of them. Its worth the time to watch if your a fan of Ernie Ball.