32" neck into 34" body. Will moving the bridge be enough?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xantometapon, Dec 26, 2013.

1. xantometapon

xantometapon

Cheers everybody!

I hope this is the right forum.

I am a lefty.
    I have a Pawn Shop Reverse Jaguar. I like the neck (32") but I do not like the body. I have done some mods to it to make it even more "lefty" but still do not like it.

On the other hand I have a Squier VM Jazz bass that is 100% left handed.

The 32" Jaguar neck fits perfectly into the Squier neck pocket, but to turn the bass into a legit 32" I would have to move the bridge about an inch closer to the neck.

Would that be enough or would I need to do something else?
    Being the Squier an "unexpensive" bass I wouldn´t mind doing it myself but I just wanted to be sure that nothing else would be needed.

Thanks fot your advice

2. Yes, the neck pocket is generally the issue, just make sure that when you place the neck that the heel lines up properly and that you have decent access to the top fret. You may have to fill the holes in the neck and drill new ones, but maybe you got lucky on this one.

With the bridge you need to make sure that you have enough adjustment both ways on the intonation screws. You may have to fill the old bridge screw holes, depending on the fit of the new bridge and whether or not it covers them up - but probably not - but that could affect whether or not you want to have the body be solid paint - or do a burst or natural finish. In the best case the bridge placement covers up the old screw holes and no finish work is called for.

Best of luck on this,

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

3. mongo2

mongo2

I installed 30" scale necks on several 34" scale bodies and didn't need to move the bridge, only moving the saddles a bit was necessary.

YMMV

Edit:
    How many frets are on the neck (i.e. neck length) will determine how much of the neck will extend past the body which in turn will determine the saddle/bridge position.

4. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    I agree w/mongo2, try adjusting the bridge saddles first, then if no luck move bridge.
    I have modified a few basses and have not needed to move the bridge either. Good luck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

any way you do it the main thing is that the bridge saddles be the same distance from the 12th fret as the nut ( is from the 12th fret). so just keep fret 12 half way between nut and saddles and you`re in. give a little allowance for intonation.

7. MIMike

MIMike

^ this,
    The scale length is the distance from nut to bridge. Your 32" scale neck has frets that are spaced for this length (nut to bridge). If it is not 32", then your notes played up the neck will not be in tune.
    Bolt the neck on, measure from nut to bridge for string length...hopefully you can get the saddles to 32" w/o having to move the bridge.

8. JustForSport

JustForSport

For initial placement, bolt (or temp clamp) the neck in the bottom of the pocket,
    then measure 32" from the body side edge of the nut to the G string saddle contact point, with the saddle in a mostly forward position.
    This will be the correct position allowing for intonation travel and you can see if it's indeed what you prefer to go ahead with.

9. All great suggestions!

Would be super if you didn't have to move the bridge.

Good luck with it and post a pic when you get it finished!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net