1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

32" vs. 34" scale & sustain?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 1, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Does a 32" bass have that much less sustain than 34", all other factors being equal ?
  2. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

My medium-scale bass sustains the same as a full-scale bass:

[​IMG]
  3. spade2you

spade2you

No differences that I've noticed.
  4. Ross AriaPro

Ross AriaPro

I think Leo Fender settled on 34" because that was as long as his arm would allow for reaching the tuners.

He knew from experimentation that higher tension strings yield more sustain and louder overtones.
  5. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

6. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I've never understood the concern over sustain. If every fret was a dead spot that went "plunk", that would be a problem, but it's a bass, not a guitar. How much sustain do we need?
  7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

^This. And, all other things being equal, no, there won't be any real difference. My aluminum-necked Kramer Duke (30" scale) out sustains every other bass I own (16 of them) with 1 exception; my Kramer 450B (34"). Which, by an amazing coincidence, also has an aluminum neck. And personally, both of them have way too much sustain; but, Ahh, the tone...:)
  8. spade2you

spade2you

Easier to mute a bass than to try to get sustain that some basses don't have.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

As much as the number needs.

I don't need a bass where the note dies before I want it to.
  10. Sartori

Sartori

+1

Yeah... I don't need a note to sustain absolutely forever, but I also don't want it decaying too quickly, either.
  11. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

Add a Brass Nut and a Brass Bridge and it will sustain for as long as your heart near about desires.
  12. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I want to get a Jaco style or Marcus Miller style fretless Jazz that sings. (Using DR Fatbeam strings).Have you ever heard MM play a ballad w/his fretless. In jazz soloing, sustain helps a lot in slurring, not each note has to be plucked.

I also want a second fretless (using nylon tape strings) that has a lot of the nice qualities an upright bass has. To get that type of hybrid one has to shoot to sound as close to a DB as possible.

I recently posted that in another thread & got all sorts of interesting advise. The most consistent is that the type of decay of an upright can be approximated by using a short 30" scale (e.g., Hofner, Kala 21-23" scale) & some felt at the bridge.

Using deductive reasoning the converse should be true: a 30" -32" inch bass should have less sustain.
    I am thinking about getting SX 30" P & J basses. They are supposed to be quite the bang for the buck
  13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

No difference for me.
  14. Bocete

Bocete Supporting Member

Tune down a half step and put a capo on the 1nd fret of a 34". Loosen the truss rod a little bit to compensate for the decreased string tension and to get the exact same neck curve you're used to. Try to hear the difference.

My Dingwalls (34-37") sustain the same on all strings.