33" singlecut 6 string- recommend a builder/bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groooooove, Jan 17, 2014.

1. groooooove

groooooove

i've got some great basses. the one thing is that i've ended up with all heavy, 35.5" scale basses. i'd also like a singlecut "just because."

are there any basses available with these specs? (i doubt it)

what luthiers / builders / brands would you recommend for a job like this?

this is partly inspired by Janek's fodera, but i'm not in the market to spend $10k. i dont need anything super-deluxe, say a flexible ~2k and under.

lets hear it!

thanks guys,

T
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Chris Stambaugh would be worth checking out, I hear he is pretty flexible.
  3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

+1

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

I'd be the first one to recommend Chris as he's incredibly flexible & talented and his quality/price ratio is outstanding but that said I don't think you'd be looking at a 33" single cut six string for under $2000. Under $3000, sure and depending on options maybe even close to $2500.

There's a link to the Stambaugh gallery in my signature. Which reminds me, I have to add HotBlack's awesome new singlecut fretless to it. Anyway, lots of other singlecuts to check out.

Also, here's a short video of a TBer who ordered a Stambaugh single cut and was going for a Janek type vibe:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

7. groooooove

groooooove

i saw that- cool bass. i've actually got an amboyna burl bass already, that i love.

i'd go for that, even though its 34", but that bridge pickup placement is deal breaker for me- i hate when they're too close to the bridge. that sweet spot is important.

i'll check out the suggested luthiers- thanks guys. keep em commin.
  8. spade2you

spade2you

The $2k and under will probably keep options very limited.
  9. groooooove

groooooove

yeah, i i'm aware of that.

the price range is flexible. if it's custom all that money isin't upfront, and therefore i can stretch.

i know used stambaugh basses tend to be under 2k, but finding one to my specs used... good luck :p
  10. Chapbass

Chapbass

11. groooooove

groooooove

where is he located? anyone have experience with him?

they look lame in certain ways.. a little too far out, a lot of carl thompson knockoff looks, but for that price (whats does it convert to in dollars?) and basically total freedom, it might be cool.

unlikely though, having never touched one, nor heard one, and him being overseas.
  12. Corey Y

Corey Y Supporting Member

If you're into natural wood aesthetics, I'd talk to Andrew Drake at Drake Custom. He does beautiful work, he's very experienced with 33" scale builds (he built me a 33" 4 string, which I love) and he's reasonably priced and easy to deal with. He's got a single cut 6 string bass build going in the Luthier's Corner right now actually. He's a member on here, but you can contact him on his website at http://www.drakecustombass.com.

I can't guarantee what he does is what you want, but I really can't give Andrew enough of a recommendation for quality work and good communication as a custom builder.
  13. Chapbass

Chapbass

Hes in Spain, but ships many basses to the states. Chat him up on facebook or on his website, very nice guy.

I'm sure if you had a design in mind he'd be willing to do it for you, he seemed super flexible when I talked to him.

a 6 string (1500 euros) comes out to right around 2kUSD right now.

And yeah, while some look very CT-ish (not my thing), a bass like this is just flat out gorgeous IMO.

http://www.prometeusguitars.com/?attachment_id=32#main
  14. groooooove

groooooove

i sent him an email.. i like what i see on his page.

are there any readily available 6 string single cutaway basses at all? im assuming 34" scale is most likely- does that exist from any factories?
  15. Schlyder

Schlyder

Jerzy Drozd Oracle is 33"
  16. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

If you can find a used Ken Lawrence - although it will probably still in be the $4k range - I highly recommend it.

I have a 34" ChamberBrase II 5 string, but I hear only good things about his 33" scales... & everything else he builds.

Unfortunately, wait times for new builds are in the 2 year range...
  17. nomatic

nomatic Supporting Member

I think Erizias makes the best singlecut 6 I have played including Fodera.
    The instrument that Pierre made me is simply a work of art and keeps opening up
    after a couple years. I bet you could get a very special bass for under 5k.

Attached Files:

18. Mark Sacchetti

Mark Sacchetti Gold Supporting Member

Big fan of Skjold Design Guitars. I have a 33" scale 5 string Catacomb one off that is one of the finest basses I've ever played/owned! I have 2 more 33" basses in the Q. One fretless and the other a solid body, both are DE Whalebacks.
    Here's a picture.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1390081760.469205.jpg
    You can customize it to your needs. Give Pete a call!
  19. narud

narud Supporting Member

extend your range to 2400 or so and have chris stambaugh do it.
  20. guitargarage

guitargarage Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of Guitar Garage
  21. groooooove

groooooove

those basses do look quite nice.

at the ~5k range i might as well try and work out a build with Clifford Roi, who's work i praise very highly and have no expectations of ever seeing anything on that level. the whole ideas is something less priceless and irreplaceable, but still a quality instrument for a full time professional. all the while looking hip, and being lightweight and smaller scale than my 35.5" 11 pound CR basses.

i sent some vague emails with ideas to Drake custom, he seems on the same page as me. said we're looking in the $3,400 or so range, 4-6 month build time.

so far i think i see a Drake in my future.

anyone else? i hate to say it but i'm looking for a fodera sound and feel, just without a butterfly logo or a $10k pricetag. i know luthiers like this do exist.