34" scale Mustang/Bronco conversion

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by awilkie84, Apr 1, 2014.

1. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Hi Guys/Gals! I asked this in the bass discussion forum & it was suggested that I try here.

What are your thoughts on converting a Mustang or Bronco bass to a 34" scale?

I'm not worried about neck dive or the neck pocket route. I just want to know if a mustang body is long enough to support a 34" scale Fender neck with proper intonation. To me, it looks like there's 3-4" of room before the edge of the body, which could be enough to mount a vintage bridge at the tail and slap on a 34" scale neck.

Thanks for any help. :)
  2. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

could be done probably. Only way to find out is do it yourself xD best of luck
  3. awilkie84

Why was this moved to hardware setup/repair? It's none of those. lol
  4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Well it is closer to setup and repair than anything else. If you have three or four inches, that should be enough. It may look a bit funny and have a neck dive though.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

I had no idea that relocating a bridge or potentially routing a neck pocket out were setup & repair. lol

Oh well.

Someone took a pic of a Squier Mustang body for me & lined up a 34" scale neck & it looks like I'll have to route the neck pocket TOWARDS the bridge, as the 34" mark is at the full extent of the saddle screws! At least I'll be able to keep the bridge in the same spot & use the string through option. :)
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Note: if you put a 34" neck on a Mustang/Bronco-size body, you will discover the true, awesome meaning of the words "NECK DIVE".

Consider carefully before proceeding, or order a sky hook to hold the headstock up. Shop carefully, they're hard to find.
  8. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

If you are going to use a common neck, such as a P-Bass neck, you can measure the distance from the end of the neck to the bridge on a P-Bass and then from the end of the neck to the bridge on a Mustang. That will tell you if the Mustang has enough body length to achieve 17" between the bridge and the 12th fret. It's unlikely you will have since the bridge to the 12th fret on a Mustang is only 15", and I don't believe there's two inches of body behind the bridge so you can move your bridge back. If you get a 22 or 24 fret neck, it might provide you with the extra length past the 12th fret to achieve a 17" between the 12th fret and bridge, but still not too likely.