1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

34" scale Mustang/Bronco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by awilkie84, Apr 1, 2014.

1. awilkie84

awilkie84

I'm not worried about neck dive or the neck pocket route. I just want to know if a mustang body is long enough to support a 34" scale Fender neck with proper intonation. To me, it looks like there's 3-4" of room before the edge of the body, which could be enough to mount a vintage bridge at the tail and slap on a 34" scale neck.

Has anyone tried anything like this? Google shows similar threads but no anwsers...just a bunch of naysayers knocking on the idea without providing any real input.

2. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Maybe a question for the luthier side of the aisle?
    As it pertains to scale and all, I mean, you might get more notice posting over there. I'd be curious too to hear an informed response to the question of the basic feasibility of the proposed build.

3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Pretty sure that the Mustang neck pocket is narrower than that of either a standard P or J.

4. awilkie84

awilkie84

Nothing sandpaper can't remedy. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. awilkie84

awilkie84

7. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

The body is long enough.A32" scale neck might be better/34" gonna be a neck diver.I'll post a pic when I get home.I have a mustang body shape posterboard rough cutout i'll set the neck on it and take a pic.

8. Robert Spencer

Robert Spencer

a mustang bass is 30 inch scale. a p bass is 34 inch. four inch difference. two of those inches are in the new neck. the other two are gained by moving the bridge away from the neck. if you have two inches below the current bridge location you can do it.

9. awilkie84

awilkie84

I'm not too concerned with neck dive. It's more one of those "can it be done?" ideas. :D I could always put an extender rod on the horn to move the balance point, too. :) I also plan on using ultralites & shaving the headstock to a tele shape to reduce weight.

That's what I thought. I just wanted to know if anyone else had researched this before I dropped the coin on a Bronco or mustang body. :D

10. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Looking at a pic online.I'm pretty sure it will "work" with just widening the neck pocket.It would put the 34" mark toward the end of the mustang basses saddle adjustment
    but there should be enough adjustment to do it without moving the bridge.I'l post a pic when I get home.

11. awilkie84

awilkie84

If the 34" mark is near the end of the saddle adjustment, I'll need to move it back about an inch or more, otherwise the E string will never intonate. :S

12. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Here's the pic.The pen sits on the 34" mark.The good thing about musicmaster/bronco is that the bridge is top mount no string thru the body.
    [​IMG]

13. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

that neck is a 34" scale lakland just set on the mustangs neck pocket

14. awilkie84

awilkie84

That's the 34" scale mark!? Wow, ok. lol So, that means that I'll have to route the neck cavity towards the pick-up a bit to get even close to being able to intonate. Quite the opposite of what I had expected. lol

On the bright side, I can find a Mustang body and leave the bridge where it is for the string thru & authentic bridge look. :D

15. awilkie84

awilkie84

Hey, is the Lakland neck a 20 or 21 fret?

16. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

It's a 21.I you use a bronco or musicmaster body no string thru to deal with set the bridge whwew you want it.This is a swinger/musiclander body.Top load no string tru to deal with.

[​IMG]

17. narwhale

narwhale Supporting Member

Any reason why you wouldn't want to just look for longer saddle screws?

18. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

If needed you could do that.

19. awilkie84

awilkie84

Ah, so in reality, MY 34" intonation point is going to be about 1/2" closer to the tail than the Lakland neck, as my neck is only a 20 fret. Mustang bodies also seem to be more abundant than Bronco or Musicmasters.

Saddle walk. It's bad enough on some Fenders, having longer screws would just accentuate this.

20. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Inconceeeeevible !

21. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

I did;nt say it would work well.You wanna put a full scale neck on a short scale body there will have to be tradeoffs.I think you's be better served to get a 32" scale bass.I had a 32" warmoth jazz and loved it.I have a 31" scale birdsong that is also a very very nice bass.