1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

34" Scale Replacement Neck for Modulus Q5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fragernackyl, Dec 16, 2013.

1. fragernackyl

fragernackyl Supporting Member

I know Modulus is now out of business, but I know they were making 34" scale replacement necks for the Q5. I'd love to get my hands on one! I have a 1999 Q5 that I love, but I just don't like the string tension of the 35" scale. I know, I know, a 34" scale neck will change the tone, affect the low b, etc, etc, I know. I still want one. Anyone have any idea how one might acquire such a neck?

Thanks!
  2. BruceWane

BruceWane

I would bet that Modulus was using the same basic neck, just moving the bridge up an inch and cutting the fret slots to 34" scale.

The only remote possibilities for replacement neck I can think of -

Try contacting Geoff Gould at Gould Guitars; he's the original founder of Modulus, sold that business many years ago, but still makes similar CF necked basses.

Also try contacting Jerry Dorsch of Graphite Guitar Systems; I don't have contact info, but you can google him and find it. He co-founded Modulus with Geoff Gould.

At least, I would bet that either of these guys could replace your fretboard and fret it to a 34" scale, and relocate your bridge.

That's really a lot of work though, and I'm sure quite a bit of $$$$.....if I were you, I'd try some lighter gauge strings from a few different brands. Circle K strings probably has the most extensive selection of gauges around, and they also have some handy tools on their website for calculating string tension for specific string gauge@tuning@scale length.

Another option would be to get yourself a Modulus Flea/FU 5 string. Same CF construction, 34" scale. Their string spacing is a bit wider at the bridge.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

How about lighter strings?
  4. fragernackyl

Yeah, I have a set of light strings in the mail. I'll certainly try that first, but in the last email correspondence I had with Modulus, they informed me they made 34" scale necks. Definitely pricey. I love that CF sound, but 35" scale on that bass is just not that responsive to all the percussive slap stuff I love to do. Anyone ever played a Zon?
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Huh?
  6. fragernackyl

The string tension is really tight on the 35" scale of my Modulus Q5. Much moreso than on most 34" scale basses I've played. Therefore, it's harder to get the strings to move when doing a lot of left hand percussive slap technique stuff.
  7. elgecko

elgecko

That's why you should get strings that are lighter than what you'd use on a 34" scale bass...to decrease the tension.