35 Inch scale bass that plays and feels like a 34

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gt96g, Jun 26, 2012.

1. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

I was wondering if anyone here, mainly players who prefer 35in scale basses have ever run across one that plays and "feels" more like a 34in. What I mean by that is with the combination of design cues, bridge placement, upper horn length and body contours, the bass is a 35in scale but all the design factors allow it to have the reach and feel of a 34.

The reason I ask this is because I have owned to 35in 5 strings in the past the tone and the b strings were great but the reach was so uncomfortable I could not deal with it. It also killed my shoulder and a wider strap did not help.

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

The only 35" scale I have ever played that was as comfortable as a 34" was a Skjold. Pete's design makes that reach very comfortable and his B string is killer.

He now offers 34" as an option which is great for us guys and gals who shy away from the 35"s.

3. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

That's true I did play a skjold once and it was one comfortable 35"

4. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

I feel your pain. I loved my BTB, only if it was a 34" I would still have it :crying:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

When I started playing I borrowed a friend's 34 inch four string and 35 inch five string and quickly decided 35 was definitely not for me. So when I bought my bass, I made sure to get a 34 inch four string, and got a neck-through Schecter Riot 4, which is 34, since that was the most comfy and best sounding of all I tried. I picked it out from 3-4 other riot 4's since it sounded the best.

Being new to this, and working next to guitar center, I kept going back I try other basses out. "maybe a five?" but no, none felt as nice, and I'd go back happy to my schecter. Good choice I made says I.

Last fall, I change the strings to ones with silk, and guess what, they're a half inch short. What the heck? Bring out the yardstick and turns out it's a 35 inch bass (despite all schecter docs saying it's 34). An email with them turned up that that bass was originally supposed to be 35 inches, and the first few made were then thy switched it to 34, and somehow one of those first ones out escaped to guitar center where I bought it.

So, after a year of my paranoid checked about whether a 35 is harder than 34, with me paying a lot of attention to other basses, and all the time I was playing a 35 without knowing.

Living proof that in a blind test, with a comfy neck and balance, a 35 can feel like a 34.

Suspect the longer length is why it sounded better than the other four strings though, there was a clear difference between it and its sister riot 4's in the store ...

7. ShowKing

ShowKing

I feel pretty comfortable playing 35" Laklands

8. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

No, and I'm glad of that.
    I recently bought a 34" scale and I don't think I will keep it.
    Strings seem rubbery to me after playing 35's for years no matter who makes the strings.

9. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Banned

"Feels like a 34" is a stretch IMO. The fret spacing won't change...

Several 35's feel good, though... Fodera, Lakland, Hanewinckel, MTD are good options...

10. Mark4

Mark4

Just tune it down, and play higher up the neck. ;)

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Rob Allen. The body geometry and bridge position make it play a lot shorter than the scale (though nothing will change the actual distance between notes on the fingerboard).

12. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Also Matt Pulcinella. His Level 5's have the bridge set back like the R.A. I know his 34" feels like 32" and does also make them 35".

13. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

The extra length is only 1/2" either side of the twelfth fret from nut to bridge.
    It matters, but it's not a big deal once you get accustomed to it, what matters is going back and forth between 34 and 35" scales, especially if you play fretless.

14. awilkie84

awilkie84

I switch back & forth from my 34" Fender J to my 35" Spector without issue. I don't even notice the extra distance.

Yes it does, just not much.

15. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira Banned

I meant to say that the fret spacing on a 35" won't change, so it'll never actually feel like a 34".

16. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Some people say it never brothers them yet these threads pop up all the time...

17. spade2you

spade2you

Hard to beat a Rob Allen in this aspect.

If a solid B with a shorter reach is desired, a longer top horn can help. There are also several builders who can build an impressive sounding low B in 34" scale or less. The low B on my 32" scale CB is great.

The OP hasn't posted in here since June so......

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Lakland. Designed from the ground up to be a 35" that feels like a 34".

I switch back and fourth between my 34's and my Lakland 5501 constantly and there's no real difference. Nice thing about Laklands is the balance. Many 35's neck dive because of the extra length, but Lakie's balance perfectly.

19. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Carvin makes a marketing claim that their XB series does the trick you're looking for. I love Carvins, but I've never played an XB. You can read about them at this link and decide for yourself whether you want to drink the kool aid or not. ;)

http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/xbbasses.php

20. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Carvin makes an XB series that is built on the same body and neck as their 34" LB series. They move the bridge back and go from 24 frets to 22.

I own multiple Carvins (B25, B50's) and they (and the B string) are every bit as good as the Laklands I once had.

Though Laklands are comfortable as far as 35"s go.

21. DonaldR

DonaldR

I tried a lot of 35" 5/6 strings and it's not comfortable for me compared to a 34". I really liked the neck of an Ibanez BTB676 and figured that after couple of weeks I will adapt.

Than I tried a custom bass from a small local builder: lutherie MF in Montreal. WOW, that 6-string bass was as comfortable as a 34" 4 string. Really thin bolt-on neck, B string with same feel as a 4-string E string and body was a bit "shifted" on the left. I have a Yamaha Attitude and that 6-string felt totally like home. Downside: $2300...