35" scale basses - thin sounding?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simenandreas, Feb 23, 2014.

1. simenandreas

simenandreas

The 35 inch scale basses I`ve tried sounds really great in the low register like the B, E and A string, but I've found them really lacking meat and bass from the D and G string.

I have talked to other players about this, but they don't recognize me with this problem. Am I the only one experiencing this? I believe dingwall's multiscale basses are a good solutions to this, but I have haven't tried the instruments and I can't really judge from youtube. I have owned almost 15 basses, 3 of them have been 35" from different manufactures. They have all got this thin sounding D and G string and it is really making me crazy :p I think it most be a tension problem, but I am not sure..
  2. cnltb

cnltb

I think you may be experiencing a set up issue...pickup hight or such...?
  3. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

You cannot isolate a single aspect and blame the sonic consequence, which derives from a holistic result of many factors in a musical instrument, on that singular aspect, over the range f instruments that manufactured from Anchorage to Wellington.

Viz., scale as a mathematical quantity has certain characteristics but you cannot attribute 'thinness' just to it. You might as well blame the bass for being blue instead of red.

Yu could talk about a particular group of instruments say ABC manufacturer who make a range of 30" - 35" scaled instruments using the design parameters, same wood, pickups, construction, metalwork, finishes etc... then you have a valid basis for asking "is 35" thin sounding?" - otherwise what you have is a classic Wittgensteinian 'non-question'.
  4. simenandreas

simenandreas

I have tried that.. rising the neck pickup a little closer to the high strings does help a bit yes. But it doesn't quite do it for me
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cnltb

cnltb

Maybe the pickup is faulty?
  7. Bredian

Bredian

Common issue with all basses, regardless.... just installed some PJXs on one of my basses and the string is coming back alive.
  8. simenandreas

simenandreas

What if it sounds thin acoustic? without an amp
  9. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

What about heavier strings or fooling around with the preamp?
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, the thinner strings are ... thinner, right? ;)

Maybe try heavier guage strings, use a compressor, adjust pickup height ...
  11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Of course there are many factors, but IME a 35" scale bass is more prone to thin sounding D and G strings than a 34". For a given string, tension must be little higher at a given pitch due to the longer scale. I still prefer 35" sound overall, but consider a Dingwall Super P or J, in which the B is 35" scale, the D 32.75 and the G 32" scale, allowing for (IMHO) a sweeter D and G and still a tight B
  12. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I'm pretty sure I too have owned (at least!) 15 basses over the years, and three of the instruments I currently own are 35" from different manufacturers

...and two of them have absolutely gargantuan, thick, fat, plush D and G strings. And the one that has slightly thin sounding D and G strings also has slightly thin sounding E, A and C strings!

More data points, I guess.
  13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

I have two 35" scale basses, a Peavey G and a Lakland 55-01. Neither has this issue.
  14. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long Supporting Member

I have to agree with the OP and I own two long scale Dingwalls now. Am not the least bit interested in anything else. Many people who experience this balance don't look back, and sound engineers do not know what they were missing until they record or set up stage sound for a fanned fret bass.

But, even though it's physics and unavoidable, the strings, the touch and the EQ can make this imbalance go from barely noticeable to unacceptable and anywhere in between.
  15. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Yes - have you tried using heavier gauge D/G strings as in a custom set. BSO will do custom sets, and they're only a couple bucks more.