1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

36 inches of love

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funk, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Funk

Funk

How many of you play 36 inch scale lengths? What is your experience with the that scale length and how would you compare it to other lengths? Please post your experiences (whether it be why you do or don't play 36), I would enjoy to hear what you have to say.

My first time playing a 36 inch made me realize that I will never play anything other than that scale length ever again. The bass was just so reactive to me. It felt perfect in my hands and I could really feel every note I played. Makes me wonder, why doesn't every one play 36 inch?

2. Draculea

Draculea

Not everyone plays one of those because they're not common at all, and many people don't have big hands, plus not all basses require such a long scale.

3. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Long scale ain't no big deal.

Oh and by the way, funniest thread title of 2014 thus far, this!

:D

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I have a 35.5" scale ABG.
    No problem playing it. Make little difference.
    Would love to try a 36" Fodera AJ Presentation.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

36,35,34, who cares? The mirth is in the girth.

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

I play a 41.5 scale Kay M1 :)

8. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

hey me too, and my own custom 36" 4 string and a plain on Fender P bass............I can switch between them from song to song and it doesn't bother me........ I like the 36" alot though but that's cause I made it!!

9. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

The Kay sounds interesting, but when I just now told my girl I was bringing home a 41 incher, she looked fairly stricken.

I think I'm gonna have to get her really drunk first….

10. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

This thread makes me feel inadequate.

11. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    I play a custom made Biarnel Akmé 6 string bass.
    I had it made in 36" scale because of AJ, very happy with that choice! Th low end is extremely well defined, almost piano-like, while the high C is perfectly integrated with the other strings. It doesn't sound like a guitar string at all.
    I thought it would be kind of hard to play, but really it isn't: I go from 34" to 35" to 36" to 41" and never even think about it.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    An Operation can fix that and make yours longer..... just move the bridge back further from the neck.:bag:

Anyhoo.... 36" is too long for me. Really hurts my left hand.

Oh boy, I should really just walk away from this thread before it's too late.:help:

13. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

you can all take 36" you just might need to ease into it :)

14. M0ses

M0ses

I similarly can't understand why everyone doesn't play 32"

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Believe me, more people care than you think ;)

@ OP

Never tried one, there are not so much luthiers that offer them actually.. And having one custom build is not really my thing :p

I do know Carl Thompson build basses with 38 inch scale length. I wonder how that feels :)

16. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

What is a good product to remove coffee off of my computer screen? Really.......I damn near choked reading these responses I was laughing so hard....

17. VegetarianBass

VegetarianBass Supporting Member

My BTB776 is long and wide

18. bassplayer1494

bassplayer1494

36 inches?

Prepare your Anus!!!

19. john m

john m Supporting Member

20. Grooveminister

Grooveminister

I play a Schack Guitars Unique 5 with 36" scale. Love the clearity, especially of the low B-string...

21. pnchad

pnchad

but actually this is one of my pet wonders

I play DB as well and I think we (doublers) appreciate the value of longer scale EBs

VERY few commenting have ever played a >35" bass and fewer still have given a longer scale a reasonable chance

physics comes into play - there's a reason ALL bass instruments are larger than their tenor counterparts AND why 12' grand pianos cost $250k

there's a distinct move towards shorter scales especially 33" and less but it's based on convenience more than anything sonic

I have a Fodera Imp 5 fretless 36" and it is without a doubt the baddest fretless I have ever heard - incredible fullness, clarity, articulation and fundamental

folks should give it a serious try - it is NOT an uncomfortable change with a good instrument - the only difference is in the half and first postitions