1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

3D CAD file?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wannalearn, Feb 8, 2014.

1. wannalearn

wannalearn

Anybody with a 3D CAD file of a 30" scale 1pc J-bass without any hardware or routes?

If not a J-bass, then a Bronco maybe? Or even a Gretsch Jet Jr?

If not that exact file, anything close?

I'd draw it myself, but my 3D CAD skill is limited to drawing a 2D polygon and using the extrude command. Okay, I'm not quite THAT limited; I use AutoCAD Architecture for a living. Nonetheless, I'm afraid anything as curvy as a bass is outside of my current abilities.

I tried a Gretsch and really liked the feel of the neck, but the body isn't as comfortable to me as a Fender. I read that the J- neck is a little thinner than the P-, but haven't tried the Bronco... All I know for sure is that I like the 30" scale and the Gretsch neck.

I guess I could start with a 34" Fender and scale it down to 30". Scaling is easy enough.
  2. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

I'd help you out by making one but Blender doesn't allow me to measure my models in inches/cm/etc., just in Units. It probably wouldn't come out exactly right. I can, however, model from a photo. I don't know how accurate that would be either however.
    I can still give it a shot if you'd like.
  3. wannalearn

wannalearn

Thanks, Bio, but I really need something accurate for a 3D printer.