3d rendering software

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fdeck, Jan 15, 2014.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Folks, a certain person wants to try some 3-d modeling or animating software such as Blender or Anim8tor. We both expressed concern about downloading some unknown software that could corrupt our computer and endanger our precious bodily fluids.

Any advice on what is good, safe, accepted, etc.?

Oh, it's for Windows 7.

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

As it happens, I have some experience with 3d modeling software. (I'm username Jenny on SciFi-Meshes).

The top of the line is Lightwave, but it's very spendy... the other commercial package that's very popular with the SciFi crowd is 3ds Max.

POV-Ray is free, and possibly the most powerful of the open-source packages, but it has a... less-than-intuitive interface. Blender has a steep learning curve, but is well regarded among the SciFi crowd. And at the low end is Google Sketchup, which is free, and has a web-based interface so that you don't have to download anything at all.

3. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Is this from the CAD angle or the 3D animation angle? If the latter, is the priority doing it for fun or for a career?

edit: JennySuzuki has mentioned most of the big players. The only other one that comes to mind is Maya. Most games companies I know of use Maya, Lightwave or 3DS Max.

edit2: crap! I forgot ZBrush

4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Google no longer owns SketchUp, hasn't for almost two years. Trimble owns it now. Also, SketchUp isn't a rendering software, it is design software that has some rendering built in, but really needs to be exported to fully render the stuff that is drawn. It is super powerful as a 3D design software, especially the latest version.

lowsound

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

My error; thank you. I don't actually use SketchUp; I'm a Lightwaver. All I really know is that there's a substantial minority on SFM who use it, and I've been impressed by some of the results they've achieved.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thanks for the tips so far. Certain persons are 11 years old, and just curious. I'll recommend that we stick with Sketchup. I don't think a steep learning curve is what we want at this point in time.

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    By way of inspiration, here's the trailer for last year's SIGGRAPH Computer Animation Festival:

9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Coming from AutoCAD, SketchUp was so limiting in my experience. This was back in 2008-2010 probably. Possibly I was too ingrained with ACAD processes.

10. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Sketchup's entry price, however, is much lower than ACAD. ;)

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    True. We're not going to install full blown CAD software here. Because money. ;)

12. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
    Look at Autodesk Inventor.

13. Subrage

Subrage

Calagari Truespace is now free.

I took a multimedia class in highschool (2000) and we used it, wasnt terribly difficult to learn.

14. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

AutoCAD and SketchUp fill completely different needs and have different methods to get to an end product. Once you understand the differences, SketchUp is super easy and powerful. Trying to use it like AutoCAD and you are going to get frustrated.

lowsound