1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

3Leaf Audio Enabler Headphone amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scotch11, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Scotch11

Scotch11

I was thinking of picking up a 3Leaf Audio Enabler and was also in need of a headphone amp for my AKG Q701... Is it possible to kill 2 birds with 1 stone with this pedal??

If I could use it separately as a headphone amp when I'm listening to music on my computer and then stick it on my board when I need it for gigging that would be AMAZING.

Basically what I'm asking is the headphone amp on this thing considered "high quality" and will it drive my $300+ headphones (600ohm) the way they are meant to be driven?

2. Bassman71

Bassman71 ...in search of the impeccable groove... Supporting Member

Enabler is a great headphone amp with aux input so you can feed it music from computer and your bass - it's well designed and I believe it'll drive a good pair of headphones really well. It's a great transparent preamp / DI with tone shaping too...

3. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Hmmm...not sure it is powerful enough to REALLY drive 600ohm cans -- you might want to just send Spencer an email about that. But as far as I can tell, those cans should only have an impedance of 62 ohms, so you're good. I can confidently say that the Enabler certainly has Hi-Fi quality sound with no noise unless you use cans with really high sensitivty -- you are also okay here since the Q701 are only 105db. I use 1964ears Quad in-ears (don't really need an amp) which have high sensitivity so I do hear slight hiss (118dB SPL/mW) as well as a pair of modded Altec Lansing im716 (essentially an Etymotic ER4-S, much better when amped). The Enabler just sounds fantastic with either one and I'm very glad I got one.

4. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

I think a lot of how the headphone amp behaves is related to how much power (mA) you can feed it. The headphone amp draws more than any other feature on it. If you're going to try high impedance cans, make sure you are using a good dedicated power supply for it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scotch11

Scotch11

Oh ya I forgot the Q701 were only 62ohm, I was thinking of the Beyerdynamics. Either way the Q701 can really benefit from a high quality amp. I'll send Spencer a quick email and see if he can provide me any detailed info... I'll update this thread when I receive a reply.!

7. Scotch11

Scotch11

Well unsurprisingly Spencer didn't want to get muddled up talking "specs" of his amazing pedals. I searched some other threads and apparently the pedal can consume up to 300mA so assuming most of that goes to the headphone amp... it should sufficiently push most studio headphones to their fullest.