1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

4, 5 or 6?

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by adambarringer, Jan 14, 2014.

1. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    Hi Tony,

I must start by being a bit clichéd and saying that I admire your work. I really love your stuff with Hiromi and the bass lessons have been an invaluable resource that I've learnt a lot from while thoroughly enjoying - one major change I made was my bass playing position when sat down - my bass is now sat firmly between my legs.

Anyway, I've recently joined a jazz fusion band and after our rehearsal this week, one of the guys asked whether I'd ever played a 5 or 6-string bass. I said no and he suggested I at least try one out - he wasn't being a dick or anything and I must admit he's got me thinking about it a lot. I've been playing for nearly 20 years now and a lot of bassists I like play 5 or 6-string basses - you (previous to your signature Fodera 4 anyway), Matt Garrison, Evan Marien, Scott Devine, Christian McBride, John Patitucci, etc., etc. - but I've always gone with the theory of "if 4 was enough for Jaco, 4 is certainly enough for me".

I'd be very interested to get your views, experiences and opinions on this? How easy or hard is it to switch?

I've got an eye on a Fodera Emperor Standard 5 right now but would you recommend going straight to a 6 bypassing a 5?

Cheers,
    -Adam

2. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hi Adam hope you are doing well...
    I love playing a 4 string and it is defiantly enough. It just depends on what the music requires.
    I tried to avoid the 6 for as long as possible simply because I thought the neck would be too big. Hiromis music required that I played melodies and solos so I made the change to a 5 String with a high C. The more we played I was missing some of the low B String in some songs which I wasn't really featured on. She really wanted that sound so I got another 5 with a low B.
    I was carrying both for a long time which became a drag. I eventually got a 6 and was so surprised how easy it was to adapt. Even form a 4 to a 5 was much easier than I thought.
    The way the bass is tuned makes the instrument very intuitive.

I say go with your feeling. Don't be put off by the size and adaption that will come for sure.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. adambarringer

adambarringer

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks a lot Tony - I'll give it a bit more thought. Hopefully we'll see you back in England real soon!

5. tony grey

tony grey

Oct 2, 2006
    Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hey Adam I'll hopefully be in England this summer..