1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

4, 5 or 6?

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by adambarringer, Jan 14, 2014.

1. adambarringer

adambarringer

Hi Tony,

I must start by being a bit clichéd and saying that I admire your work. I really love your stuff with Hiromi and the bass lessons have been an invaluable resource that I've learnt a lot from while thoroughly enjoying - one major change I made was my bass playing position when sat down - my bass is now sat firmly between my legs.

Anyway, I've recently joined a jazz fusion band and after our rehearsal this week, one of the guys asked whether I'd ever played a 5 or 6-string bass. I said no and he suggested I at least try one out - he wasn't being a dick or anything and I must admit he's got me thinking about it a lot. I've been playing for nearly 20 years now and a lot of bassists I like play 5 or 6-string basses - you (previous to your signature Fodera 4 anyway), Matt Garrison, Evan Marien, Scott Devine, Christian McBride, John Patitucci, etc., etc. - but I've always gone with the theory of "if 4 was enough for Jaco, 4 is certainly enough for me".

I'd be very interested to get your views, experiences and opinions on this? How easy or hard is it to switch?

I've got an eye on a Fodera Emperor Standard 5 right now but would you recommend going straight to a 6 bypassing a 5?

Cheers,
    -Adam

2. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hi Adam hope you are doing well...
    I love playing a 4 string and it is defiantly enough. It just depends on what the music requires.
    I tried to avoid the 6 for as long as possible simply because I thought the neck would be too big. Hiromis music required that I played melodies and solos so I made the change to a 5 String with a high C. The more we played I was missing some of the low B String in some songs which I wasn't really featured on. She really wanted that sound so I got another 5 with a low B.
    I was carrying both for a long time which became a drag. I eventually got a 6 and was so surprised how easy it was to adapt. Even form a 4 to a 5 was much easier than I thought.
    The way the bass is tuned makes the instrument very intuitive.

I say go with your feeling. Don't be put off by the size and adaption that will come for sure.

3. adambarringer

adambarringer

Thanks a lot Tony - I'll give it a bit more thought. Hopefully we'll see you back in England real soon!

4. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hey Adam I'll hopefully be in England this summer..

5. Register to disable this ad