4 Ohm 15" Replacement Driver Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by higain617, Feb 20, 2014.

1. higain617

higain617

I have an 8 ohm SWR Son of Bertha 1x15" that I would like to convert to 4 ohm for use with an Ashdown ABM 500. The Ashdown runs 575W at 4 ohm. Could anyone recommend me a good replacement driver capable of handling this? I seldom run the master volume over half.

2. rogypop

rogypop

IMO and IME go for 8ohm driver. If you insist, there is eminence basslite c2515 at 4 ohm but you risk shooting it across the room with that much power on tap. You gain nothing over quality 8 ohm driver like emi kappalite 3015.
    *Avatar could possibly sell you their 4ohm version of emi kappalite 3015lf. That driver could take all the power ashdown could throw it in but IMO that driver requiers midrange driver to work good for BG.

3. higain617

higain617

The idea here is a small, high-powered rig. There is a chance I may be pairing this up with an SVT at some point, so 4 ohm would be ideal. I've heard some good things about the Emi Kappa 15C.

4. foderaman

foderaman

Faital 15PR400 in 4 or 8 Ohm

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rogypop

rogypop

You can't put 'high powered' and 'kappa 15c' in the same sentence. With 2.4mm xmax and displacement of 206cc it's
    very poor choice for bass guitar. More of a PA midbass driver.
    Basslite c2515 works good in small cabs, legend CA154 is great too.Both 4ohms. Both are capable of pumping twice more bass than kappa 15c. Run them in winisd and find out which one you like the best.

7. rogypop

rogypop

+1, great speaker

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

The 3015lf from Avatar is full of *if*s - *If* Avatar will sell you one, *If* it will sound OK without a midrange driver, *If* it will work in that small of a box.

Redundant as heck for our regular viewers, but more speakers make more of a difference in loudness than wattage does. If it was me, I'd just try to snag a second Son of Bertha and save all the chin scratching and hair pulling.

9. higain617

higain617

I'm actually not having a volume problem. The stock speaker is starting to get farty on the lows (especially with tube), so I need to replace it. I figured putting a 4 ohm in there could maximize my SS amp's power for now.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Big +1 wattage is not the answer, more spkrs are. Period. Stick with an 8 ohm driver, preferably one that matches well with the original, as that's what was spec'd for that enclosure.

11. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I agree. I think an additional cabinet is a better option than buying a new speaker so you can get a few more watts out of the amp.