1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

4 ohm or 8

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 2012 AMJAZZ, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 2012 AMJAZZ

2012 AMJAZZ

I am considering the GK MB 500 head with the GK 410 Neo cab.
    Do I need the 4 ohm cab or does it not matter?
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

It matters. Get the 8 ohm cab. The difference is negligible, but with an 8 ohm cab, you have the option to expand, where a 4 ohm cab would not allow that. The difference in volume, (and the wattage rating of the amp) is so little, as to not matter. "Getting all the watts" from your amp is useless if the cab you use can't handle it. 8 ohm cab for the win.
  3. DLaunder

DLaunder Supporting Member

+1

I've got a 410 and a 210 and I can't use the 410 with the 210 and my GB STL900. Should have gotten the 410 in 8 Ohm, but like a lot of uneducated folks out there I thought I was getting more benefit with the 4 ohms. I agree with RickenBoogie, the difference is negligible, IMHO. Anyone out there want to trade an Avatar 4 ohm 410?
  4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+3. Get the 8 ohm cab - that way if you ever need move volume (SPL) all you need to do is just add another 8 ohm GK Neo 410.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    May as well make it +4.

There's only a couole good reasons to go with the lower impedance offering, and "getting all the power out of my amp, man" isn't one of them.

The justifiable reasons are:

A. If you play an all tube amplifier that does not have an 8ohm tap. Example would be the SVT that requires either a 4 or 2 ohm load. Many old Fenders also wanted a 4ohm load.

B. If you are dead certain it's the only cab you will ever need and you will never have any reason to expand your rig. This usually (but not always) means large, loud cabs that can cover big gigs without needing more. 215's, 810's, 412's, etc.

That's it.....there aren't any more.
  6. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

+5

You'll be better able to resell a 8ohm cab than a 4ohm. Also the above options for adding another and still only needing a 4ohm stable head (the most common type).

Have fun! :D
  7. happyg

happyg

It really depends on your needs. The gk 500 with a 4 ohm Neo 4x10 would be a pretty killer set up if you know you won't need to expand.
  8. nickrs540

nickrs540

+6 on the 8 ohm. Sometime down the road you'll thank us for it. You're going to want to make an 8x10 or something and you will have no problems doing it. I hate 4ohm cabs cause I can never run another one with out another amp. The 4 vs 8 ohm volume difference is not that huge of a deal anyways.
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

+7 on the 8 ohm. After doing this stuff for over 40 years the answer to me personally is clear.
  10. lakedmb

lakedmb Supporting Member

+8 for 8 ohm.
  11. BluesBass1

BluesBass1

thanks for asking this question...........i am in similiar state.........just picked up a ampeg svt 6pro and need to get speaker cab and was wondering the exact same thing................i think the TB guys answered the question...if you want to be able to expand, get the 8....
    although it does limit choices ....
  12. 2012 AMJAZZ

2012 AMJAZZ

Thanks to all
    I asked the guy at Sweetwater the same question
    He said get the 4 ohm
    Go figure
  13. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Not surprised :rollno: It's like asking the average GC floor sales person. :p
  14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The GK MB 500 head is 350W @ 8 ohms and 500 watts @ 4 ohms.
  15. Pbassred

Pbassred

Which is not the volume difference that you might think it is.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Between a forum full of pro bass players and amp techs vs a salesman, always go with the salesman.

It take 10 times the wattage to get twice as loud. Twice the wattage might make the volume difference barely noticeable at best. Sacrificing future expandability for a tiny little volume gain makes no sense.
  17. Sartori

Sartori

Get the 8 ohm one. Flexibility.
  18. dincz

dincz

500W will be about 1.5dB louder than 350W. 1dB is a barely detectable difference to most people, so 1.5 is just detectable at worst.
  19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The only reason that I can think of is that a 4 ohm cab saves a little time. My guru told me that before plugging in, say ohm eight times with an 8 ohm cab, and four times with a 4 ohm cab. Now if you have two people chanting in parallel for an 8 ohm cab, you only need to say ohm four times. I think that's the key thing to remember. I can see where series and parallel ohms can get confusing.
  20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    For most applications if I have an amp that is 500 watts @ 4 ohms I'm rolling with the 4 ohms cab. Proper headroom really does make a difference in most playing situations.

I've been there, where I had a 550 watts @ 4 ohm head coming out of a single 8 ohm cab and I was not happy at all.