4 ohm speakers with SVT-410he cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by frensal, Nov 19, 2012.

1. frensal

frensal Supporting Member

I found an unloaded SVT-410he cab for cheap on Craigslist. It originally is an 8 ohm cabinet. I'm wondering if I put 4 ohm speakers in it, could I run it as a 4 ohm cabinet? I have an SVT head that can only do 2 or 4 ohms, but I want to get a 4x10 (in addition to my 8x10) that I can play it out of on the cheap.

Thoughts? Is the input panel inherently 8 ohms or is it only the speakers that would make a difference in ohmage?

Thanks in advance!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You could do that, but the problem would be finding the speakers. I know of no acceptable commercially available 4 ohm speakers you could use that would retain the basic sound. Admittedly, I don't know of every single speaker available, though.
  3. frensal

4. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    You could just connect four 8 ohm speakers in the cabinet all in parallel that would get you 2 ohms total, a match no less.:bassist:
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
  6. frensal

Thanks so much for all the advice, yall.

I'm still on the fence about it, but he did say he'd throw in one of the orig speakers that works fine so I'd just have to worry about getting 3 replacements.
  7. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Even with one of the original speakers, there is no way to get that cab to 4 Ohms with out 4 replacement speakers. Not worth it.