4 or 5 string for Tool, RHCP, Staind ect.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gsprice696, Feb 8, 2014.

1. gsprice696

gsprice696

Hey everyone I'v posted already that I'm looking to buy a bass and start learning. While I know this is a popular question, I'm asking it in regards to what I want to play. I want to play some Tool, RHCP, Staind, Bruno Mars, Bullet for my Valentine, ect and maybe even some country but I'm not sure whether I should be looking at getting a 4 or 5 string. Now keep in mind that I haven't stared learning yet but I'm very serious about this and am dedicating my self to this process so any help u can provide would be helpful thanks.

2. awilkie84

awilkie84

Staind needs a 5-er, or a seriously down-tuned 4 string.
    Everything else is Drop D tuning.

3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I think a five string with plenty of tonal options will do the job. Others can chime in with their favourite brands and models, but a five string with active electronics and soapbars will be a good place to start. I'm think Ibanez will have something in the price range you'd want to look at as.someone starting out. Warwick make an active Corvette in the RockBass line that has dual MM-style humbuckers and plenty of tone-shaping.

Also, I believe Staind's bass player is floating around on this forum. Ask him ;)

4. gsprice696

gsprice696

many thanks guys but if I decided to go with a 4 would I still be able to play those types of music? also which would u recommend a jazz or P?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

7. JGbassman

JGbassman

if you go with a four I'd recommend a jazz with a hipshot d-tuner. that makes life easier, unless you go with BEAD tuning or something along those lines. a four can get down to a C ok with at least a 105 e string and still be playable imho. id recommend a spector legend fiver or the euro to get a great rock tone, but if you are planning on doing some country too I'd pick a 5 string jazz. its one of the most versatile instruments out there. I prefer the 35 inch scale but my 5ver jazz with the right strings gets close.

8. sotua

sotua

Dual humbucker Bass.

9. gsprice696

gsprice696

ok lol not to be dumb but let's face it I'm really DUMB when it comes to this stuff. What do you mean by hipshot d-tuner? also I have no clue what imho?

10. El Spearo

El Spearo

A d-tuner is a replacement tuning machine with a lever that lets you change the tuning of that string (usually from E to D)

11. Spiritfield

Spiritfield

imho = in my humble opinion

12. thefunkgorilla

thefunkgorilla

GSprice,
    You are not dumb in any way, just a beginner. Give yourself a break. What's your budget? That will determine what general direction you go in to a certain extent. I 'm a 5 string player mostly, unless someone requests a 4 specifically. I am a Dingwall advocate, I love the fanned frets, even string tension and awesome low B string. At the same time, a good setup and new strings can do wonders for a used MIM 5 string Jazz. Passion and hard work will cover a lot of the above detail! Work on developing your own style while keeping your passion for your influences.

13. gsprice696

gsprice696

Thanks man! I'm looking at staying around $200-$400 but with that I'm trying to get everything I need like amp, case or gig bag, tuner, and the BASS ITSELF lol. I just want to make sure I get the best for my money cause I'm really serious about this and don't want to get some POS bass that I'll regret getting. I've been eyeing the main starter kits out there on the market such as the Yamaha gig maker, Ibanez jumpstart, epiphone Toby performance pack and the squire affinity pack but I'm just not sure. Everything points to I need a 5er and that those kits r crap so I just can't decide.

14. fmoore200

fmoore200

It's not that those kits are crap, but you will be looking for something better *very* soon if you are serious about playing and get better.

I started off with a Yamaha 4 string when I moved to electric. It was a used model off the floor with a crappy set up. I got better and wound up moving to a Warwick F.N.A. 5 string. You'll probably do the same if you get one of those kits.

IMO, those kits are useful to introduce a kid to an instrument without breaking the bank just in case he/she stops playing after they realize playing an actual guitar isn't as easy as playing Guitar Hero :D

15. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

A Sterling by Musicman Sub would cover the sounds and styles or perhaps a Warwick type bass (rock bass), or Yamaha. I have never seen anyone use a P or J for this type of thing - it's technical stuff requiring power and punch to the sound. I don't believe those basses can get near this stuff - just look at what the people doing it have played in the past.

16. gsprice696

gsprice696

Cool and thanks! I was just looking at a Spector Legend 5 and it looks pretty cool, as someone mentioned that one but I'll gladly take a look at a Warwick also. I'm def not a kid trying to start learning thinking it's going to be easy, I'm a 30 year old man that needs a challenging hobby and I have a huge passion for music and really dig those low tones from my fav bands. So I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can and getting as good at playing as I can!

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Too bad you don't live near here.
    http://allentown.craigslist.org/msg/4258830590.html
    Really cool Epiphone Thunderbird in pellham blue. There's one on ebay for $500...no case (sure, its a rare color and they no longer make it) but this guy has his on craigslist for $250 with a hardshell case.
    At that price, I should buy it as a backup!
    Epiphone Thunderbird IVs have a very good sound for the money, and you can always buy a Behringer BDI21 for something like $30 for some really good tonal options.

18. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Go around the pawn shops and search craigslist for motivated or just bored sellersÂ… I think you have to put your hands on an individual bass to see if it sounds and feels good. I found a 5 string I liked and still like for $160 at a pawn shop. Next: ampÂ… get a used 15" combo. Certain brands have bullet proof reps, like Peavey, Ampeg, Hartke. You will eventually get a better amplification system, but a simple 12 or 15 will do until then. Even cheaper: get an headphone amp like PocketRockit. I started in April and went from PocketRockit to Peavey Basic 112 to Sansamp BDDI into QSC 1450 power amp feeding home made cabs 2x10 and 2x12. I bought everything used except the pocketrockit. Get a good sounding bass and then add on from there. You might need a tool like pocketrockit or another headphone amp to test all the seedy cheap basses full of dust, that could be a diamond in the rough.

fnord!

fnord!

19. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Your going to be limited in choice by your price range. You will DEF need a 5 string. Trust me you do not want to be tuning back and forth.
    OLP 5'er
    [​IMG]
    For the quality and sound i would save a couple hundred extra and get a Ray34 5'er (would even be closer getting a used one!!!)
    [​IMG]

20. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I started with a 4 strings but I was a big fan of Korn and RHCP when I started 15 years ago ... so after finding some official music sheet for those two band I discovered that a few songs used a 5 for RCHP ( in BBSM ) and well all the songs for Korn use a 5.

So I got a five with a wide strings spacing so I could slap with ease. Then to me it made more sense than a 4 strings because I learned music theory while doing it.

21. gsprice696

gsprice696

I'll keep all this in mind, I'd love to hit up some pawn shop or craigslist but don't have that option since I'm stationed in south Korea and will be here till feb 2015 but I heard they have a huge music mall in Seoul so I intend on checking into it. so far I've looked into the Warwick rockbass 5ers and spector basses and I think I like the spectors better but I think ultimately I am going to have to hold one and here it in person to fully make a decision. However I'm going to check out the sterling also.