4-polepiece jazz bass pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IPA, Nov 19, 2012.

1. IPA

IPA

Just picked up a bass body, has some swapped-around parts on it, has fender deluxe active board and control layout but the two jazz pickups on it only have 4 large polepieces instead of the smaller 8 in pairs. Without taking en out to inspect for markings, anyone know what they might be? :confused: They sound pretty good, got a good deal, although the mid cut/boost pot will need to be changed as it's about fall apart.
  2. David Jayne

David Jayne

Might be Delano's. Good stuff.
  3. nivagues

nivagues

Sounds like a Jazz Bass deluxe from 1996-97 era. They had Suhr electronics and pickups with the 4 larger type pole pieces.
  4. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPA

IPA

This sounds likely, the person selling said he thought they were USA electronics. Not a bad score!
  7. Mykk

Mykk

I was curious about these kind of pickups, I was thinking of putting them in a Jazz copy. How do they sound?
  8. bassmanrocke

bassmanrocke Supporting Member

These are side by side humbuckers. They sound very close to regular jazz pickups, but without the hum. Also, they have a bit more output. Fender had them in the early Mexican Jazz Deluxe basses. I have never been a fan of Fender active preamps, but I have used a pair of these pickups in a passive jazz and they sounded great.
  9. IPA

IPA

I like them. Not as much character as standard pickups, but not as thin either, which I like (mainly a p-bass player).

I don't know what to attribute to the active EQ and what to the pickups, but I have no plan on changing these pickups!
  10. Shane Carter

Shane Carter

One of my favorite basses, the 98 Fender Deluxe Jazz with the Suhr electronics. Great quiet pickups and lots of control with the preamp. Thunderous with the preamp bass turned up and neck pickup blended higher.