1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

4 preferably 5 String medium scale non custom built?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MattyO, Jan 3, 2014.

1. MattyO

MattyO

If anyone is gonna know you guys/gals are. Where might i find a medium scale(31-33") 4 or 5 string bass that's of a decent build quality? Are there some lesser known brands out there dabbling in the medium scale market? I'm looking to spend less than $500. Am i dreaming or is this possible? Thanks!
  2. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I sure wish there were more of them, but the only production medium scale 5-er I am aware of is the Warwick Rockbass, and it is well over $500. They also have a 4.

There are a few 32" 4s from years past - Yamaha, Fender Japan Squier, Aria Pro II etc.

There are a couple of medium scale forums here - maybe you can do a search for more information. Good Luck
  3. MattyO

MattyO

Yeah I've noticed the pickings are very slim in this market despite what seems to be a reasonable demand for them. I forgot to add that i was looking for a P + J combo as well. The only one i've seen but i can't get in this country is the Gypsy Rose bass. I'd love to get one and spruce it up a bit.
  4. Espresto

Espresto

Look at a Jaguar or some of the other new Squiers. Also check for old Aria's and other Mastuomoko and Fujigen basses; there's a lot of oddballs to be found.
  5. MattyO

MattyO

I have a jaguar ss. it's a 30" scale. it's too small and short for my hands. i get cramped up on that little neck. I like some of the old arias but anything that isn't beat to hell they're asking a thousand bucks for. I'll check out some of the other Mastuomoko basses. I've never heard of Fugijen though. Thanks for that info.