1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

4 string as B E A D

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dandrett, Dec 5, 2013.

1. dandrett

dandrett

Has anyone strung their 4 string B E A D? Specifically Fender or Sterling

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

3. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Done it several times. Used the bottom four of five string sets and filed the nut slots a bit for the wider strings. Works like a charm.

4. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I done that before also like everone esle saids use the lower end of a 5 string set or just get a 5 string so you can have all of the string if you need them. (Really just get a five string.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Sounds expensive. A single string sounds more economical to me.

7. woodyng

woodyng

I prefer the BEAD thing to playing an actual 5 string. I've converted 2,very minor tweaking usually. I particularly liked using a Peavey Unity dyna bass that way,but it also worked really well with a J-bass i had. Currently i just don't miss having those extra 5 low notes,so i am bog standard with my axes now.

8. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

That's how I have my MM Big Al 4 strung. I love the speed and finesse of the narrow neck, with the low end thump of the B.

9. Jensby design

Jensby design

:meh: no, I don't think that is even possible :scowl:
    But I have tuned E0 A0 D1 G1 :smug:

Ok, :rolleyes: so the first time I changed string I tuned down to a B :bag: I was young and foolish.

Now I tuned down to like D.:eyebrow: no not that D :rolleyes: what oh :oops:
    [SUP]that [SUB]D[/SUB][/SUP]​

10. gricko

gricko

all my basses are BEAD. warwick and rickenbacker did not require any nut fiddling, but jazz bass did.
    string posts on W and R nuts are very shallow.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

You might also try DGCF tuning

12. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I never thought of that. Then again my fingers are too long I also like having the G note stirng as well.

13. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

I converted an Ibby to accomodate BEAD, just over a year ago. It's just a matter of some nut filing and some fine tuning of relief, action and intonation, so no big deal. I'm loving this four string BEAD bass, as it has the standard string spacing. I don't care for a G string at all (on my bass :D). My G&L is still in EADG, but one of these days... :ninja:

14. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

I tune to BEAD when i want the extra low end, but I mostly just do drop D. I honestly don't think you need thicker strings, as I use 45-105 prosteels with no flabbiness. That is, no flab from the string, just from my 15 watt 1x10. I only notice flabbiness in the string when I do AEAD tuning. But since I don't use that tuning at church, I really don't do it often. I was dropped the E down to B at church, and it did't mix well (an acoustic guitar, two female singers, and a cajon). I'll just stick to drop D at church and CA#CD# at home.

15. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

A common problem with extreme down tunings is the tension becoming too low to intonate properly. Fretting such string causes a relatively high change in tension. The lower notes (C till D) are most affected.

16. Jensby design

Jensby design

I have used drop D in church before :ninja: but I don't think we are talking about the same D :ninja: coughcough lightweight

17. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass Supporting Member

I haven't done that per sae but I can see the benefits now that I think about it. Get most of the benefit of a fiver without the wider neck. Sounds coold to me!

18. Dave Oliver

Dave Oliver

Did that with my ovation magnum years ago until I bought a 5 string. sounded great. No filing needed, just intonation.

19. dannster

dannster Supporting Member

I did it for a theater show I did a few years ago.
    Fender Aerodyne non-export Jazz.
    GHS Boomers Heavy 50-70-95-115

Worked like a charm and sounded great.