4 string or 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by scottie65, Jan 24, 2014.

1. scottie65

scottie65

Hi Tony,
    I am learning bass on a four string bass but have heard some people are playing five string basses but I do not see it as prevalent as the four string. Is that because there are not that many songs that need that low B note? I am asking due to wondering if I should pick up on a five string. I am just learning and want to play blues,pop, and jazz. I am just not sure I should spend the money if there is no need but would like to know if I may need one in the future.
    Thanks,
    Scottie

2. adambarringer

adambarringer

3. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hi Scottie this was my reply to Adams similar question. I hope it helps you..

I love playing a 4 string and it is defiantly enough. It just depends on what the music requires.
    I tried to avoid the 6 for as long as possible simply because I thought the neck would be too big. Hiromis music required that I played melodies and solos so I made the change to a 5 String with a high C. The more we played I was missing some of the low B String in some songs which I wasn't really featured on. She really wanted that sound so I got another 5 with a low B.
    I was carrying both for a long time which became a drag. I eventually got a 6 and was so surprised how easy it was to adapt. Even form a 4 to a 5 was much easier than I thought.
    The way the bass is tuned makes the instrument very intuitive.

I say go with your feeling. Don't be put off by the size and adaption that will come for sure.

4. scottie65

scottie65

Thanks for the advice Tony.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    You are welcome Scottie

7. steven conley

steven conley

Hello I have a question. I'm new. How do I fill out a profile?

8. tony grey

tony grey

Disclosures:
    Hi Steven...Fill out a profile where?