4 String SG

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kazz3lrath, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Kazz3lrath

Kazz3lrath

I have a new Gibson SG, and would like to switch out the factory strings for something better. If I want a really fat, heavy sound. What should I use? I have heard good things about GHS Boomers. Do they work? Should I use something else? What about string gauge?

2. NOT

NOT Supporting Member

Try Nikki Sixx Dean Markely Helix strings. I use 'em on all my Gibsons. They last a long time and sound heavy, deep, and punchy. 110-50.

I stopped using GHS after I discovered these strings.

3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I use LaBella flats on mine.

4. Root 5

Root 5

A fat heavy sound?
    GHS Precision flats or Labella 0760M flats.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

LaBella flats on my SG gave me the perfect classic 70's rock tone. Thin Lizzy, UFO, Sabbath - just loved 'em.

Also tried D'addario black nylon tapes (nice Beatle's Sgt. Peppers tone) and short scale round wounds by Ken Smith (strong mids with bite - similar to Rotosound 66) and D'addario XL-160 nickel rounds (bright at first, but mellow in 12 hours of playing to a nice round tone).

If you need the bass to be versatile and cover a few different genres (rock, metal, blues, jazz, country), then I would recommend the D'addario XL-160. They have the broadest range. But if you just play classic/hard rock, I don't think you can beat the LaBella 760 flats. They are just magical on the SG.