1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

$400 to spend

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by small alien, Nov 17, 2013.

1. small alien

small alien

Howdy. I'm new here. I've been reading threads for the last month or so and really enjoying the forum.

I've been playing bass with a new band for about 6 months. Kind of a loud punky blues-rock three piece (for now). I've been using my old TKO65 and it's just not cutting the mustard. I need more oomf. I like an organic sound. Not too slick. I play an '85 Ibanez Roadstar II. I play mostly finger style. Simple, melodic playing. We'll be playing small to medium bars, maybe a medium outdoor show in summer. That kind of thing.

I've looked at Ampeg combos a little. Curious about Peavey combos. I've read bad quality reviews of both. Markbass seems out of price range. Played a GK combo and did not like the tone.

What would you get for $400 bucks?

Thanks!

2. DannyBob

DannyBob

Spend it on cocaine.

But seriously, just try around with a few combos and see which ones you like. If you like organic sounds try Ashdown; either the Five Fifteen-ABM100 100w 1x15 Combo or the Five Fifteen MiniRig Bass Stack

3. DannyBob

DannyBob

Oh, and welcome to TalkBass! :)

4. small alien

small alien

How about the Acoustic B200mkII 200W?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DannyBob

DannyBob

Never really heard of the make :meh:

Don't know if that's just me or what, but if it sounds nice to you then give it a go!

7. small alien

small alien

Thanks, DannyBob. First idea is tempting but wife says no.

I know the question is kind of stupid because it's so open ended. I'm usually on a saltwater fish forum and it drives me crazy when people say, "what fish should I get?"

That said, I'd sure be interested to hear what people like or don't like and why. I did search the forum some but I'm looking for the most current opinions on what's out there now.

I'll play an Ashdown. They have a couple at a local store.

Cheers.

8. DannyBob

DannyBob

No bother :) hope you find the one that's meant for you. And the wife ;)

9. Signs

Signs

If you want something loud, decent, and cheap, check Guitar Centers used site. There are SWR 4004 heads for around $225-230 and SWR 410 cabinets for $165-200. That is probably what I would get used for around $400 or so.

Another option would be a TC electronics
    BG250. http://www.tcelectronic.com/bg250-mki/
    250 watts at 35 pounds. This might get you closer to your organic sound...This guy's jazz bass sounds really good in the audio clip. Sam Ash has them $349.99 free shipping. Listen to the sound clip, let me know what you think. It has a tube drive feature that sounds great. I almost bought one of these...

10. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

I would get some used stuff. You can get a Hartke HA3500 amp and a Hartke 410XL used for around 400 total and probably less for a different cabinet. That can keep up with up with lots of bands. I have two of those cabinets and that amp and I can keep up with two REALLY loud guitar players and a heavy drummer. The amp is very versatile and can get a lots of different sounds.

11. Signs

Signs

The Hartke would be great...

12. small alien

small alien

Thanks a lot, all. Very helpful. Cheers.

13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I would probably look for a used Peavey. It will weigh a whole lot, but it will be cheap, sound good, and be indestructible.

14. Bombadil

Bombadil

Ditto on the used Hartke. I've always tried to like Peavey, but they just sound low-fi and boxy to me. Fender makes a "decent" sounding combo, but your best bet might be to scope out used stuff either at stores or on Craigslist. Just be sure to take your time/ check them out and plug in and twist and turn every knob to be sure it all works. You'll know when it sounds like it's something you want or not.

15. IPYF

IPYF

I'd second this, and usually do. For the money the HA3500 is a total rock machine. It's worth mentioning you can often find the 410 combo version of this amp for between $300 and $400. The price of gear in the US truly astounds me sometimes.

16. Andy_D

Andy_D

Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 can be had for $399 right now. Just do it, and find a cab for it somewhere. You'll thank me later.

A good bet for the money (for cabinets) if you are buying new Carvin BRX10.2 Neo. $399 and handles 600 watts.

I know all this is about twice your stated budget. But think about it.... An ultra light 600 Watt Amp and a fairly light 600 watt cab thtat will sound better than most any combo out there and if you ever want for more in the future just add another 2 x 10" cab and your good to go. This should go a long way toward short circuiting the inevitable "cycle of upgrades" at least for a while.

17. small alien

small alien

Thanks for all the thoughts very much appreciated. Tried an Ashdown mag 300 210 combo today. I loved the tone. Not quite as much oomf as I'd imagined. Hooked up a 15 cab to it and it really fattened things. That whole package is 850 though.

18. Gaolee

I wouldn't go for a combo simply because they are a bear to haul around unless you put wheels on them. A separate cabinet and head weigh more in total, but you don't have to move everything at once.

19. DannyBob

DannyBob

So yeah, get a good combo and some $5 caster wheels

20. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Also consider Yorkville/Traynor gear. Very solid, underrated stuff that can be had for a steal on the used market. The Bassmaster 400 series (heads and combos) are terrific amps.

21. Gaolee

There's that. If you get wheels that aren't stout enough, they break off when you hit a crack in the sidewalk. That sucks.