1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

4001 Ric Pickup Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassboysam, Dec 12, 2013.

1. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

I've owned a 1973 Ric 4001, with a toaster neck pup, for about 8 years. Over the last copule years the pickups seem to be losing some high end. Not totally dead but certainly not as sparkly as before. I replaced all the pots with 550Ks and raised the pickups as high as possible. I even had the pickups remagnetized. But it still sounds too dark. Is there anything I can do other than replace them?

And before anyone recommends it, I am using SS strings.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You can get them rewound. Fralin, Lollar, and a few other builders will do it.
  3. bassboysam

I asked about rewinding but was told that it wouldn't necessarily change the tone.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

how could it be the winding? a bad coil wire would mean a dead pickup.

i'm kinda stumped here, i would have suspected the magnets.
  6. bassboysam

Well their output is fine, I measured that. It just doesn't sound like a Ric anymore.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

look for something dumb, like a bad switch, dirty pots or especially that over-complicated switching output jack.