1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

4005… Who Knows? My Crazy Obsession!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomad98, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Nomad98

Nomad98

Ok, I have been scouring the web for weeks looking at pictures of 4005's. Just can't get enough of them, only played one once in the 80's but it was at a music store and it was so long ago I remember very little about it. At first I was thinking that the bodies had to be at least a couple of inches thick. Then I started seeing pictures from the side and doing rough math from the quarter inch jack and the binding (that I think is a quarter inch) as reference. From my calculations the bodies on a 4005 seem like they are about 1.25 inches thick?? What? That doesn't seem right. That would be the same thickness as a 4001/4003? Does anyone know if that is correct. Please help me end my obsession so I can move on to a new obsession!

Thanks

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

They're slightly deeper than a 4001 but not by much.
    My Rick obsession is even worse and less easy to satisfy, I like the Lightshow Bass.

3. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

I was poised to purchase a 4005 back in '72, my guitarist talked me into a 4001 (which I still have) and have regretted it ever since. Have always felt that I needed to get a 4005 but as the years went by I realized that a 4005 was out of my price range. Several years ago I picked up an Italia Rimini. It's not a 4005 but it makes me feel a little better now. She's beautiful in her own right and a welcome addition to the collection.

4. Nomad98

Nomad98

Jazz Ad: Good luck on the "Lightshow obsession" I feel for you man! Hardly any good pictures of those rare beasts.

Londo Molari: If you understood "my obsession" you wouldn't have posted any info that wasn't Rickenbacker ;) but since you did type in "4005" three times in one paragraph, that seems obsessive so you are good! :)

But seriously does anyone know what that dimension is AND is it the same for the double bound as the single bound? The single looks thicker to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

A french forum buddy had a craving for a 4005 so he had his own version of it luthier made.

[​IMG]

7. Nomad98

Nomad98

Wow, Dark Stars too… probably sounds nothing like a 4005.