$40m to charity.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 96tbird, Dec 16, 2013.

1. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

2. tplyons

tplyons

I'd give a bunch to charity, but first I'll pay off my student debt, my brother's student debt, my parents' house, I'd buy myself a home and my brother a home. The rest can then go to charity.

But I've got to make sure my family is on solid ground first.
  3. icks

icks

I'm sure I can't give all to charity. Probably I'll give smaller amount (1,000/10,000) on regular basis.
  4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Man , I would have to choose carefully .

I would insure myself and family were taken care of first .

I feel some , not all, charity's suffer from corruption and misuse of funds just as the rest of society does.

With 40 million you could literally be a philanthropist and cut out the middle man.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

There's my concern.
  7. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

A few observations:

First, there have always been a surprising number of people who (when polled) have answered "I'd give it all to charity" So why is this one person newsworthy?

Second, the odds of actually winning a large lottery are so astronomically low that IMHO people who make such proclamations are (in their mind) trying to strike some deal with God: "God, let me win the lottery and I swear that I'll give it all away!"

Third, I suspect that if one of these "give it all to charity" types DID win the lottery, they actually would give the money to charity...after they've deducted a few "operating expenses" first, of course. Hey, their car just broke down (or was about to break down!) and they need that new car to drive to the post office to buy stamps to mail their gift, etc, etc.

Fourth, why make such a pubic proclamation of their philanthropy? What's the motive for announcing so loudly to the world that they're going to be so pious? "Hey look at me, I'm so generous!" Isn't true charity done quietly, without drawing attention to oneself?
  8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

This is not a political statement, rather a statement about the accuracy of polls. Polls also showed that Obama had no chance at all of winning the last election.

And the DIFFERENCE in this case is that this guy actually DID give the money away. It is EASY to answer a question to a total stranger in a manner that makes you feel good about yourself. It's another thing altogether to actually HAND OVER FORTY MILLION DOLLARS. There's your news story in a nutshell.

What an awesome guy. I can't say a word about what I would do because I have no idea.
  9. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Man, what polls did you look at? Nick Silver picked all 50 states correctly and something like 95% of the House correctly as well. Political Polling is accurate.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

lowsound
  10. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I totally agree. Then I thought that this may be a ruse to publicly let family, friends and enemies know that you don't have any of the money. That way you can attempt to out maneuver the inevitable horde of people who are going to make your new life a nightmare. If he said it for this purpose then I think it is a smart move.
  11. Ironbar

Ironbar

That man is a complete idiot.

If he truly wanted to do good for a charity, he would have set up an endowment with the $40M well invested. That way, the money would grow over time, and he would have ended up giving mega-millions in the long run instead of a lump-sum that the charity will promptly use, and will never see again.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Yeah the guy gave away millions and millions of dollars. He should be taken out back and beaten. :eyebrow:

This is not about "smart or dumb". What a great thing the man has done.
  13. tastybasslines

He didn't give away anything yet. He said he would deal with it "down the road". I'm a little suspect this is going to happen at all.
  14. Randall

Randall

I read he was the ceo of a large electrical company. He has all the money he and his family needs so...;)
  15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

The article says he didnt tell anyone for months. Its likely that he didnt go out and make a proclaimation of his philanthropy so much as the media caught wind of Crist's win and decided to make a story out of it.

From the article:
    "After the initial shock, he said he put the prize out of his mind, deciding to “deal with it” down the road."

Thats what he said when he found out he won, back in May.

"Crist told CTV Calgary that he is putting the money into a family foundation he started, which will distribute funds among charities he chooses to support."
  16. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius Supporting Member

+1
    I dont feel that most charities are as they appear. From my experiences I trust people less and less as I get older.
  17. tastybasslines

"he is" = not actually done yet.

Family foundation? Why not give the money directly to the charities? Loosely translated, this whole statement says "I'm keeping the money".
  18. MatticusMania

You may feel the statement says that, but it actually doesnt at all.
    He could have plenty of reasons for dealing out his money through a family foundation. One possible reason could be that he won't be getting a lump sum, but the $40m will be paid out in monthly payments, to the foundation. Thats only one of many possibilities.

"he is" could also mean "he currently is", especially since the lottery prefers to pay out in installments. He hasnt received all of the money to do it all at once. It could be read as "he has been and will continue to do so".
  19. tastybasslines

The statement still indicates that he hasn't done anything with the money yet.
  20. MatticusMania

Not necessarily. Read my edit.
  21. tastybasslines

Perhaps, still if he had actually donated something already we probably would have heard an announcement. "We are proud to have donated X amount", or something similar.