1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

410 and 210 cabs together

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington' started by RotoRick, Sep 14, 2012.

1. RotoRick

RotoRick

I have asked this question on TB and got conflicting answers based on what the manufactures told me so I will ask you.

Looking seriously at an m9 Carbine Mesa head with a 410 and 210 cab. Mostly their cabs are all 8 ohms but you can order 40hms as well.

The one at my store is both 8ohms but most people say don't do this because the 210 will be over driven getting the same wattage as the 410 cab.

Keep in mind the amp puts out 900 watts at 4ohms so each cab would get 450 watts and the 210 cab is rated for 600 watts, so don't know if that would be a problem or not.

Most say get a 410 4ohm cab and have the 210 cab at 8 ohms in order for each speaker to get the same wattage, what do you say ?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Yo Roto,

My friend Jamie knows WAY more about this than I even care to know. I'm hoping that he sees this and responds. He could give you a way better answer than I could. But he just recently commented on thread where he explained mixing cabs, ohms, resistance, impedance, etc,...

You should read that thread.

By the way, I don't know about a lot of manufacturers. I'm not constantly on the prowl for new gear or the hot new thing. My Aguilar rig serves me well so I haven't even thought about looking at other manufactures. The same with bases. I mainly play basses by 2 manufacturers. I'm sure other basses are fine. But like having a great girl, if you've really found the right one,...there's no need to look anymore.

peace,
    anthony

3. brad houser

brad houser

I have an 8 ohm Hartke 410 that I use with an 8 ohm Eden 210. works great. got the Hartke for 125$ at a pawnshop here in austin, needed more horsepower cheap. I use an Aguilar tone hammer 500. I use the output from the Ag into the Eden, then the parallel jack of the Eden into the Hartke. this makes total system ohms at 4. the main thing to do in your case is hook that rig up at the store, start playing, and gently, gradually crank the volume. and listen.

4. brad houser

brad houser

what you don't want to do is use a standard 210 and 410 together. most 210s are 4 ohms, most 410s are 8, so the 210 will draw more power and be carrying too much volume, while the 410 won't be getting enough.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

The theory is that you want each driver to get the same amount of power.

If both cabs were the same, either 8 or 4 ohms, each cab would get the same amount of power. Each driver in the 410 would get have the same power as each driver in the 210.

If you got a 4 ohm 410 and 8 ohm 210, the 210 would get half the power of the 410. Each speaker would get the same amount of power.

Where this becomes an issue is the fact that with a 4 ohm and an 8 ohm cabinet combined, you'd be running under 4 ohms. Most amps should not be used with a load lower than 4 ohms. But, in your case, you're looking to use a Mesa M9 which can be used with a load as low as 2 ohms. You'll be all set.

7. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen Supporting Member

Media:
    Amen.

8. denhou1974

denhou1974

I don't think you'll hear much difference by adding the 2x10. Put the money into a good 4x10 and head then call it a day.