1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

410 cab for my stereo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassguitarthund, Nov 10, 2012.

1. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

I know this is probably a dumb question but I have an extra 410 cab now. It is in my music room/bar/ entertainment room. Is there a way I could hook it in to my stero system and woukd that hurt the cab or my stereo? This would be nothing permanent, I know I would probably need to build an cable to go from the stero to the cab or amp. Also would need to some kind of filter so the lows go to it?

2. Blankandson

Blankandson

I would do a little more research into your immediate neighborhood first before spending any time or money. I used an extra 18" cab for my stereo many years ago and got a LOT of immediate complants from neighbors two and three housed away. I mean they came over knocking on my door. I didn't think it was really that loud - but they did! If you have a large lot that would be good. In an apartment or condo? Not so good.

3. Blankandson

Blankandson

BTW my son-in-law sells and installs used home theater systems - the expensive kind. He has them set up in their home so he can test them first before installing them permantly. He can shake their house with 4", 5", and 6" speakers. If you want really good bass for a home stereo, check out Craigs List or Ebay for used home theater bass woofers. He has about a dozen woofers currently in the garage that he will probably ask between $250 - $500 for.

4. anderbass

anderbass

1: Sure, If your stereo has a powered output for a sub-woofer, that'd prolly be my first choice to try. You could conect the 410 to the right (or left) channel speaker-output too, but if you used any other speaker for the other channel, your right/left sides would most likely sound completely different. They'd most likely produce a different volume level too, but you could adjust your stereos balance knob to help compensate this.

2: You wont hurt anything, just make sure the 410's ohm rating isnt lower than what your stereo speaker outputs are labeled for. Because if not, that could end up damaging the solid-state poweramp section in your stereo.

3: Yep, your speaker cable would simply need to end in whatever type of plug your 410 uses. You'd need to make sure the plug into the 410 was wired in the proper polarity/phase. It wouldnt hurt anything if you got this wrong, but you'd get much better bass response if both speakers are connected in the same phase/polarity.

4: If you want your 410 to produce a full range sound, there's no need for any filters. You'd only use one if you wanted to cut the mids/highs, like if you wanted your 410 to just act as a sub-woofer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tuned

Tuned

You'll find bass cabinets aren't as good subwoofers as you might think. They'll reach lower than hifi speakers, but a good hifi subwoofer will perform better.

Also if it's sheer output you're looking for, you'd probably have an easier time finding a cheap car audio crossover, run it off a 12V power adapter, and get a used hifi amp/receiver for power. If it's an 8-ohm cabinet, you could bridge the amp, you'll need a passive DI box, long story.

7. Arjank

Arjank

What hifi speakers are you talking about?
    Most speakers that I call "hifi" definitely go lower then most of the basscabs.

8. Tuned

Tuned

Hifi just means home stereo as opposed to PA. Good hifi reaches just as low as good PA, but the OP is talking about using a 4x10 as a subwoofer, so I'm assuming his hifi isn't state of the art... no offense.

9. bassguitarthund

bassguitarthund

You are correct. My stereo is not state of the art. It is probably at least 10yrs old. I was just kicking areound the idea, lol. I appreciate all the info from everyone. Now I am thinking of just upgrading my stero system, might be a better option. I could probably get an affordable system that is far better than the one I got now.

10. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Good advice here!

Most stereo amps are for 6 ohm to 8 ohm speakers (side A + B)

If your 4-10 is 8 ohm, you'll be OK. If 4 ohm, high risk of messing up your stereo amp!