1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

410 choices ... Epiphany, SWR golight, Genz Benz

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kingmusicism, Nov 13, 2012.

1. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

I have narrowed down my search for a quality 410 cab. I am thinking neo, for weight reasons.
    Berg AE410- cant get a new one. The model they currently offer is too heavy for me to load myself.
    Epifani UL2-410 was sold on it, but am now concerned about upper mid-range articulation, which would bum me out, its the main reason I am changing cabs now from my GB neo 2x12. I also heard about them not being as good quality driver as the UL-1 series and they are now more mass produced. Would be happy to be wrong :)
    SWR Golight- MM and reg is a strong candidate, love the price. Will it hold up to the Epifani tone wise? Power handling wise? Love the weight and price.
    Markbass- cant get past the color. Bums me out.
    I can try any locally. I have exhausted this board and the internet in general on this topic. Wondering if someone will chime in w new info/opinions?
    Thanks!
    Additionally, my rig consists of:
    Alembic F1-X
    Crown K1 (bridged)
    Genz Benz Neo 212 (looking at replacing, I have beat on it hard for 5+ years).
    Main bass is a 90's Pedulla Thunderbolt. I replaced the thunderguts w modern Bart 3 band pre and modern Bart pickups.

2. arai

arai

Why a 4x10. Why not get something that does not beam

3. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

currently using a genz benz neo 212. I sort of need "beam" to hear correctly w 1 box on a large stage if I understand your meaning.

4. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

open to all suggestions :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. arai

arai

What is wrong with the 212?
    What do you mean you need beam to hear correctly?

7. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

Let me get this straight. You have the option to go for an excellent Markbass cab but won't because of the colour? For shame! *swoons*

Jokes aside, get something you like the sound of. Try to bring your head and your bass with you when you try stuff out. For weight, I recommend the Berg, or maybe a GK Neo 410. Why are you moving away from 12s? They seem to have lots of midrange punch. Also, don't bother about mass produced or not. Snobbery like that will get you nowhere. Hope this helps.

8. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

Thanks for the reply.
    The color .... yeah, I know. I will be elevating the cab, so it inevitably becomes a "set piece" when you look at our stage setup. Doesn't quite fit with our black and red branding (backdrop).

I have liked the GB neo 2x12, but I miss the articulation of 4 10's. The GB throws plenty of lows, the upper mids seem to suffer. I got away from 10's mainly because of portability reasons years back (Eden 410XLT). Now many more options exist, I have beat the heck out of my GB box and it doesnt quiet cut it on larger stages as I think an elevated 410 would. I cant try any of these boxes out without traveling, so I am sort of stuck in the decision process. I am also a tad to spoiled to buy the GK ;)

9. arai

arai

Oh. 10s are no more or less articulate then 12s or 15s...it has more to do with the cab design and the speaker specs the the size of the speaker

10. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

I think the "format" matters in relation to your listening position as well as speaker size and cab design, but I do get your point. The cab will be 22" off the ground. I have PA support so I don't require the throw the GB neo 2x12 or the enhanced low end the box delivers at this time. I purchased it when this was not the case. I believe based on experience my midrange would be more articulate as far as my own perception is concerned, and would do better than 2 12's on a large stage in a high volume situation. I have also considered a tighter 2x12 box.

11. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

If I were you, I'd get a 212 with a tweeter. Something like an Aguilar. Stack it vertically and you're set. You have PA? Then the cab is no more than a monitor. Your audience will only be hearing what the sound guy puts out, after all.

12. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

I agree, its all great until I get on a larger deep stage, then I miss my 4x10. Maybe a more efficient tighter 2x12 would work well. Thanks, you guys have just added options dang you.

13. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

I totally agree with you.
    I'm looking to replace my GB NEO 212 cab with a tight 4x10 cab.
    The 212 is more open sounding and not as quick as a 4x10 especially when you're standing right on top of it.
    It seems most obvious when I use my thumb.
    All my smooth jazz/R&B/church buddies prefer the SWR 410.
    I really like the MM Golight 410 sealed cab ,really fast when paired with a single 15".
    I can't get past the bumble bee look either, thank goodness for optons.

14. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

Thanks for caring Kerry! I appreciate your reply. I may go with the ported golight, considering I will never have a 15 underneath. The MM is so tempting .... but I worry about missing low end if needed.

15. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

A good 410 should be able to go as low as any 115, it just doesn't seem like that. In a live setting, you don't want that boomy low bass, you want a tight defined mid-sounding punch. Also, try to read the amp stickies. They can be a mountain of information, especially regarding matching cabs and the difference between 10s and 15s.

16. Jothabass

Jothabass

Have you checked the Epifani 310?? I have an older T310 and can't be happier!!! Sound its tight, clear, focused and strong... really don't miss my 4x10's!!!!

17. B String

B String Supporting Member

Ok, I'm going to go another way here.

I used to own an F2b, Crown amp, and a single rack space 15 band stereo eq. 15 bands for each side of the F2b. Had it all in a 6 space effects depth rack. I used with whatever backline box was provided. The reason is because I could make almost any box sound how I wanted it. I truly loved that set up.

My point is that it might be a whole lot easier and cheaper to just put a good single space eq in your rack. You'll be able to add punch and whatever frequencies you aren't getting now for a fraction of the cost of a new speaker box.

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Aguilar DB or SL series for what you're describing.

I'd also look at GK Neo 410. That has everything you need at the lower price point!

19. shoot-r

shoot-r

How about "two" 210 cabinets.
    Use one for small jobs/rehearsals, both stacked as a vertical 410 when more volume and coverage is needed.

A vertical 410 will give you better mids dispersion, better projection and less phasing issues than the standard 410 configuration.
    A vertical 410 will give you the height advantages of a larger/taller cabinet by getting the top driver up closer to your ears giving better clarity.

I've been gigging with a vertical 410 rig for some time now.......never going back to a standard configured 410.

20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I have an Epifani UL2-310, and I absolutely love it, I haven't played a cab yet that I enjoy as much. It is nice and lightweight and the tone is nice and clear with nothing added to it. If you can find a UL2 get it now, I thought they were phasing them out for the new UL3 line with has ceramic drivers.

As far as Markbass cabs, I love mine but I don't recommend it nearly as highly, and it has nothing to do with colour. Their cabs are voiced in the low mids, they definitely colour your tone, unlike their heads.

21. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

I dont believe they make a 410 neo cab