410 choices ... so many. Help?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kingmusicism, Nov 13, 2012.

1. kingmusicism

kingmusicism

I have narrowed down my search for a quality 410 cab. I am thinking neo, for weight reasons.

Berg AE410- cant get a new one. The model they currently offer is too heavy.
    Epifani UL2-410 was sold on it, but am now concerned about upper midrange articulation, and them not being as good as the UL-1 series.
    SWR Golight- MM and reg is a strong candidate as well. Will it hold up to the Epifani? Love the weight and price.
    Markbass- cant get past the color.
    I can try any locally. I have exhausted this board and the internet in general on this topic. Wondering if someone will chime in w new info/opinions?
    Thanks
  2. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

How bout just a good old Ampeg unported Classic? They're not particularly big or heavy.
  3. Russell L

Russell L

I think the best 410 is a 215 (or 2x115). Just me. But, they can be cheaper, lighter, and often sound better, IMO.
  4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 I'd always take 2x 15's over a traditional 410 cab.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vandy

Vandy Banned

Hartke HyDrive 410 - 72 lbs; 8 ohm; 1000w . . .
    Fairly neutral . . .
    Would love to hear some other opinions on this cab . . . :D
  7. countrybassist

countrybassist

I used a hi drive with the band I toured with last year. Nice cab.
  8. Tuned

Tuned

The difference between neo and ferrite doesn't allow for a 4x10 cab to be carried up a flight of stairs by one person. In a 2x10 go neo all the way, but the difference between 60 and 80 lbs in a 4x10 is not so critical.

BTW I saw Peavey has a removable caster kit (casters and socket mounts) for $25, great price, and they're the same casters I've seen at Princess Auto in Canada for $4.50 a piece. Got the same on my 4x10, I roll it through anything (gravel, wet grass, snow, etc) and whenever they get chewed up I buy a new set. I'll take fresh casters over neo drivers any day.
  9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have two Ampeg 410HE cabs and love the way they sound.
  10. Tuned

Tuned

And a -1 to 2x15 cabs, yuck! 4x10's are more efficient, compact, and focus the sound where it's needed.